Taiwan
Zhonghe District
New Taipei City
flag msg tools
The mushroom of course.
badge
One side of what?
mbmbmbmbmb

Those who have read my review will know that I believe this expansion to be a must for this game. As an expansion, it offers a 5-6 players support and four new kinds of cards: Dragons, Flames, Dragon Attack cards and Mercenary/Dragon Attack cards.

RULES- The cards are mixed with the original set to create a huge pile of 165 cards and the rules for 5 or less players is given, but the only difference is how many cards are dealt in the beginning and in each round. The major attraction is of course the Dragons. The Dragons are place in individual columns and each Dragon is treated as an individual Nation. A Dragon can only attack with a Dragon Attack card or a Mercenary/Dragon Attack card and they may attack any Nation or Dragon (What the Dragon can attack is no where to be found in the rules, but this expansion would be very pointless if Dragons can only attack Dragons. I simply assume it is an oversight.). A Dragon always rolls two dice in either attack or defence with a bonus of +1 to EACH die rolled. In addition, Dragons can be further strengthened with Flame cards. For each die roll the Dragon lose, DISCARD a Flame cards on that Dragon. The Flame card is discarded so it will not count as any player’s VP. Only when a Dragon without a Flame loses a die will that Dragon be killed and go to the victor VP pile as a normal VP counter (2 VPs). Players are allowed to stock up on Flame cards before they have any Dragons, simply lay the flame cards face up in front of you until you get a Dragon to place them on.
There are two slight down sides with Dragons: 1. They can be attacked by any Nation, Mercenary Army, or Dragon, so they are possible targets whenever any other player lays hands on an Attack card; 2. Wizards and Dragons don’t mesh, so a Wizard is not allowed to be played on a Dragon Nation. A Catapult can target a Dragon disregarding any Flames, but a roll of 6 is required (1/6 chance) to kill it.
When the game ends, the player(s) with the largest number of Dragons standing gets 12 Vps.

GAME PARTS- Three rules in different languages. No dice. The quality is on par with the base game. There are only three new artworks: Dragon, Flame, and Dragon Attack. One minor defect that I have noticed: the card backs are of a slightly darker shade than the base set. This is not a big issue, certainly not enough to hamper game play since the cards are played faced up 90% of the time, but this is slightly disappointing.

TIME PER SESSION- Slightly increased. It is obvious that with more players the game plays longer. With the additional Attack cards, the time is also increased for the same number of players, but not too much.

LANGUAGE DEPENDENCY- Remains 100% language independent.

GAME ANALYSIS- Dragons are fierce. I have seen a Nation of 6-7 cards taken down by a single, well-Flamed, Dragon in a single Attack. In addition, the flames do not count towards VP, so an attack with a Dragon is almost always profitable. Since they are so powerful, a Dragon with some Flames becomes a big target. Catapults tend to end up targeting these behemoths more often than not. And Dragons who do not have the protection of Flames are usually a first target for a strong Cavalry Nation. Since Flames are not Attack-able, an option is to pile a few Flames before you dish out your Dragons. On the other hand, I have found that a lone Dragon can be quite a good diversion to draw attention away from my weaker Nations.

OVERALL- This is a good expansion. A must if you enjoy Warriors. It creates some more tension to game play and quite a bit of flavor to the theme. Besides, what’s a fantasy theme without dragons?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.