Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Erik, Donald, and Scott discuss the number of players and its impact on the game

Don reviews a host of Mayfair games:
Catan Histories: Settlers of America – Trails to Rails
Lemming Mafia
Lords of Vegas

Erik reviews D-Day Dice

http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/obg-051-those-wonderful-playe...

http://onboardgames.net/
RSS Feed: http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/rss
Email us: onboardgames.net@gmail.com

Edit to add games Donald reviewed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esteban Fernandez
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think d-day dice is going to be published, designer did some comments hinting it, so if you want a copy, grab it now, also if you do not want to do it yourself, you can just buy the comercial version

Great show as always
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to side with Don here in talking about 2-player games. I do think that depending on the game, casual conversation is possible. My partner and I really like certain games we play for that reason - a lot of the lighter Kosmos series, for example, fit that bill (Jambo, Balloon Cup, etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
What is everybody's favorite game for:

1 player
2 players
3 players
4 players
5 players
6 players
7 players
8 players

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 player - Roll Through the Ages
2 players - Balloon Cup (runner up: Jambo)
3 players - Pandemic (runner up: Small World)
4 players - Ticket to Ride (runner up: Arkham Horror)
5 players - Vegas Showdown (runner up: Modern Art)
6 players - Battlestar Galactica (runner up: Carcassonne)
7 players - Wits & Wagers (runner up: Long Shot)
8 players - Apples to Apples (runner up: Eat Poop You Cat)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="DancerInDC"]1 player -
2 players - Blood Bowl: Living Rulebook or Hive
3 players - China or The End of the Triumvirate
4 players - Löwenherz
5 players - Niagara
6 players - Battlestar Galactica
7 players - Diplomacy
8 players - Say Anything
9+ Ultimate Werewolf: Ultimate Edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Dewey
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
1 player - Phantom Leader
2 players - Twilight Struggle
3 players - Pandemic
4 players - Agricola
5 players - Imperial
6 players - Battlestar Galactica

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is everybody's favorite game for:

1 player - American Megafauna - A very thematic exploration of the topic of evolution. It's more of an experience than a game, but it's great fun all the same!

2 players - BattleLore - Probably my favourite game at the moment. The Battle Savvy changes the game for the better and makes the game a fascinating struggle. I am loving this one! A close second is Agricola - my wife and I both love playing this game together.

3 players - Tales of the Arabian Nights - again not so much of a game, but certainly a hilarious experience. It's a lot of fun.

4 players - Starfarers of Catan - A sentimental favourite. I love playing this with Daft Punk playing in the background. A great game.

5 players - Condottiere - The First or Second edition, NOT the FFG Edition, which I was not impressed with (the rules changes are not for the better imo). This is a great game, it plays quickly and involves some good level of thought.

6 players - Formula D - A lot of fun. This game is a really neat little race game I don't get to the table enough. The new edition is very nice.

7 players - Wits & Wagers - A fun little rivia game. I like the new rules quite a lot. A close second would be Diamant - an excelent push your luck game.

8 players - Say Anything - another fun party game by Northstar. This one can be a blast with the right crowd.

Cheers,

Giles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As an interesting aside, what games would you most like to play for that number of players, that you haven't played yet?

1 player - Field Commander: Alexander - I own this, but have yet to play it. I have enjoyed reading about Alexander for a good while.

2 players - Commands & Colors: Napoleonics - I am really looking forward to this game for some odd reason - though I've never really been interested in the period!

3 players - High Frontier - Been looking forward to this for a good while now. I love space and all things astronomical.

4 players - Ascending Empires - A space empires game with a dexterity element - it's all the things I love rolled into a game!

5 players - De Vulgari Eloquentia - I quite liked Siena, and this one has such a unique theme. Looks interesting.

6 players - Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game - Looks interesting. A neat thematic co-op in a small and very portable box? I'm interested.

7 players - I'm not sure to be honest! Perhaps the Wits & Wagers Family!

8 players - Shadow Hunters - I own this, just haven't had a chance to get it to the table yet!

Cheers,

Giles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Great question Giles, I'll have to think about that for a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Esko
Sweden
Piteå
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and my game group have really enjoyed Catan. We used to play it to 10 points on 3 players but only to 8 points on 4 players. I play Catan as a light game where anyone can win and I think a 4 player game to 10 points makes the game drag and take to long for what it is. We have also played some 5 player games but always with expansions, Cities and Knights have been a favorite. Once we played a 5 player Seafarers scenario with Rivers and Cities and Knights, we had lots of fun.

On 2 I play Dominion with one friend and Go with another, those are also my 2 favorite games. Twilight Struggle is also a nice 2 player game.

We don't really play a lot of 3 player games these days, we try to avoid it. I think my own prototype game have hit the table the most for 3 lately. Le Havre is also a good 3 player game.

4 is the sweet spot for most games so no special game here. There are some games that I only play on 4, like Puerto Rico.

On 5 we tend to play Cosmic Encounter or Endeavor. Or Ticket to Ride USA or Europe.

We haven't had a six player game in ages. I would probably suggest something like Formula De.

Oh, and thanks for another great episode guys. I've been too busy with other things to listen lately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.