Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When I played Football Strategy last, I was astonished that my opponent was running up the score on me by calling plays that were completely outside football logic. Plays that no coach in their right mind could even imagine calling. It was impossible to counter his strategy because he had none -- he was completely random.

For those of you who've played this more than I have, is this something that happens frequently and how do you combat it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like my son who in his first game against me in Madden threw nothing but bombs and blew me away. Later, in the 2nd game, I introduced him to the "cover 2" defense, and he couldn't complete the bombs any more, and I won big time. Live and learn...

You're bound to run into those opponents who will play a game and try anything just for the heck of it. You'll have to read the defensive cards and choose the ones you think will stop the "illogical" play-calling. Once you consistently stop the unconventional they might go back to conventional football. Or not. Most real football coaches are afraid to try something unconventional because the percentages are against it - but maybe it's because they don't try the unconventional more often?

This is one game I wish somebody would update - the defensive cards especially, and some of the offensive plays as well. Oh well, the game's a classic - I played it a lot in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually the unconventional play calling involves overuse of risky plays. Once you figure out what your opponent is doing you can usually make him pay pretty heavily for his illogical plays. After he's been burned a few times things should calm down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.