$10.00
Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Regatta» Forums » Rules

Subject: What are the advanced rules? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ted Groth
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently purchased this game because it looks like it would be great to play with my niece and nephew, and of course because I like sailing!

The desciption here on BGG indicates that there are slightly advanced rules to play after the kids have gone to bed. Maybe they were in the self-published version, but I haven't found them in the Gigamic games version.

Can anyone explain what the differences are, or post the advanced rules?

Thanks!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Groth
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anybody?

I will be visiting relatives in the USA very soon, and my Niece and Nephew are eagerly planning to spend my visit playing games. I will be introducing this game to them.

I expect that the basic rules will be fine for now, but I would be interested in knowing what the official advanced rules are.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Thomas
England
flag msg tools
Did this game get offical advanced rules.
I am looking for a good sailing game to play solo any ideas.
Peter.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Groth
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I eventually found the following comment on the Gigamic website:
Quote:
Advanced start: Up until any one player plays a sun card all yachts circle without crossing the starting line. The sun card indicates that the race is on! Played this way the sun card will not subject any ship to the doldrums.
So that makes it a bit more of a serious game, but not too much.

My Niece an Nephew do enjoy the basic game, and we played it a number of time when I was visiting for the holidays again this year.


Peter, I don't know that it makes that great a solo game, unless you are good at "forgetting" the cards in hand for one boat while you direct another. Maybe not looking at the new cards drawn to refill each boats hand at the end of the turn would be enough. Or maybe you can figure out another variant. But this it is a good little game, inexpensive, the boats are well crafted, game play is short (depending on the size of the course), and it is easy to get others to play. So so you might not have to play solo!

Note: A more accurate sail racing game would be Race the Wind if you haven't looked at it before, although I think it needs some of the variant rules to really make it work. I haven't had much success in getting people to play this one though, and since the only random element is the wind shifts, you definitely know the strategy of every boat if you try to play solo. But I actually like the boats of Regatta better, because they heel.


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romain van Liemt
France
flag msg tools
Hey,

I'm going to buy that game this afternoon so I can play it with my girlfriend's family, who are US sailing aficionados. After a bit of searching, I learned that the game is the mass market edition of the self-published "La Petite Regate", and finally found the advanced rules on the site dedicated to that edition.
You can find them here, in French:
http://www.lapetiteregate.fr/les-regles-annexes.php

The first rule is about adding a cannon to your boat, but the rest of them are about sailing. The most important rule is number 2, the capacity to put your boat adrift (luffing, maybe), and discard one to three card and get new ones (and pass your turn).

Sorry about the bad translation, I don't know anything about sailing, and I'm French. I'll probably get to translating them this summer with my gf's family, if anyone's interested.
2 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Groth
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the link! I wasn't aware of this version of the game.

Google translation of the page into English is pretty funny, but it is just clear enough that I think I understand the optional rules.

For a sailboat race I would leave off the cannon, in option 1. But rules 2-6 look like a decent set of rules to make the game a bit more realistic. I'll try and re-write the google translation so it makes better sense in English in the next week or so. (Unless someone else does it first!)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tradewinds Ted wrote:
Thanks for the link! I wasn't aware of this version of the game.

Google translation of the page into English is pretty funny, but it is just clear enough that I think I understand the optional rules.

For a sailboat race I would leave off the cannon, in option 1. But rules 2-6 look like a decent set of rules to make the game a bit more realistic. I'll try and re-write the google translation so it makes better sense in English in the next week or so. (Unless someone else does it first!)


Ever translate those rules??
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Groth
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, I never did.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my translated / added to version

Optional rules and variants

1 - (I modified this from the original)

-Small Regatta "Pirates"
- Each ship has a Cannon which is located at the front of the ship and with a circulation of 180 °. It can fire at one ship a turn that is up to on playing card away.

- Each ship has 3 points of the hull. (Use coins, tokens, matches etc ... to represent).

A ship that loses all its hull points sinks. The player who sank the ship gets 1 victory point. A sunk ship starts over with 3 Hull points and restarts at its starting island.

To see if your cannon hits another player's ship play rock / paper / scissors or in this case Cannon/Sail/Wind. Cannon rips Sail. Sail captures the wind. Wind blows cannon off target off.

The cannon is represented by a closed fist, sail by the outstretched hand palm up, and the wind by the wiggling fingers palm down.

- Each player has starting island ( use a island shaped piece of paper or maybe an island from 3M Regatta or Ships of the Spanish Main) Also each player gets two treasures on their island( use gold or whatever to represent this). If, during play , a ship touches another players island they can take one of the tresures on the island and put it on their ship. If they bring it back to their island they score 1 victory point and place the treasure in front of them to remember the victory point they scored. If they are sunk with treasure on their boat then the treasure is lost forever and no one scores victory points for it. Remove the treasure from the game.

The first player to score 2 victory points through collecting treasure and/or sinking ships wins the game.



Here below are some attempts to make Regatta more of a simulation game with more realistic sea racing. Your ideas, suggestions and criticisms are welcome.

2 - Failure:
- It is possible to turn by putting "down".
- This action has the effect of stopping the ship, the player the opportunity to change from one to three cards from his hand.

3 - Headwind:
To introduce a notion of wind in the game
- Take a long single game card (no wind and not a trident card).
- Place about fifty cm from the start, the arrow pointing to the starting line.

The rule is simple: it is forbidden to play a blue card upwind( i.e. facing into the wind).

Change in wind direction: When a player lays a card with a symbol wind, he normally plays, then put the card in the discard pile. After this he puts his finger to one of the two rounded edges of the card's side and spins the card. When the card stops spinning, point to one of the following positions that it is closest to. Pointing towards the finish line, pointing away from the finish line, pointing to the right, pointing to the left.( i.e. North South East or West) You now have a new direction of wind on the water.

4 - Amures:
A boat is on starboard tack when the wind comes from the right side of the boat.
A boat is on port tack when the wind comes from the left side of the boat.

In a race, the priority depends on how you take the wind.

To translate in terms of game in the Little Regatta must:

- Playing with the wind arrow. So, it is possible to know in what we sail tack. So players don't forget, we suggest you cut a cardboard circle that should be colored red (Port Tack) on one side, green on the other side (Starboard Tack). Each player always displays it as it sails tack. When the wind is at your back, the ship keeps the last tack in which it navigated.

- The interest of adding tack o the game is that the boats sailing on starboard tack have priority over those who sail on port tack, they should let them pass.

- This means that a starboard tack boat can end its movement in the area of operation of a port tack boat, forcing him to get down and lose his turn (he can still change from one to three cards).


5 - Flight of wind:
When a ship is placed between a competitor's ship and the wind, he steals the wind and the competitor’s ship cannot move in the same direction that your ship is going. They can turn to move in a different direction or " put down" and not move ( they still can discard 1 to 3 cards and draw 3 new ones) You are still not allowed to finished your movement in the "move area" of a ship that has priority over you( i.e. you have the same tack or you are at port tack and the competitor is Starboard tack).


6 - Order of Play:
Once you start running, the ship that goes first for the turn is the ship that is closest to the next buoy in the race. At the start of the race, before crossing the starting line, the ship that is closest to the first buoy of the race ( not the starting line buoys) moves first for the turn. If ships are spread out so that on ship is going to buoy #2 and another ship is going for buoy #1 then the ship going to buoy #2 moves first for that turn.
4 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Groth
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that!

One thing in particular I would have transalated differently is the change in wind direction in item 3.

I read it instead as an instruction to place a fingwr at one of the forward corners of the wind card, then turning the card until the arrow points to that finger.

This would mean wind shifts of maybe 20 to 30 degrees at a time, which I find more realistic. It also means that the wind won't always be in one of the four cardinal directions, and the tacking rules would have to deal with that. Not allowing the use of a blue card going upwind could mean that it isn't allowed witin 90 degrees of the wind, which would be very restrictive, but workable. One could impose a restriction of something like 45 or 60 degrees instead, but that is harder to judge, so probably not practical.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tradewinds Ted wrote:
Thanks for that!

One thing in particular I would have transalated differently is the change in wind direction in item 3.

I read it instead as an instruction to place a fingwr at one of the forward corners of the wind card, then turning the card until the arrow points to that finger.

This would mean wind shifts of maybe 20 to 30 degrees at a time, which I find more realistic. It also means that the wind won't always be in one of the four cardinal directions, and the tacking rules would have to deal with that. Not allowing the use of a blue card going upwind could mean that it isn't allowed witin 90 degrees of the wind, which would be very restrictive, but workable. One could impose a restriction of something like 45 or 60 degrees instead, but that is harder to judge, so probably not practical.


Since you can only turn in 90 degree increments in this game, I took it that the wind direction changes were only in 90 degrees.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Groth
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dnasearchr wrote:
Since you can only turn in 90 degree increments in this game, I took it that the wind direction changes were only in 90 degrees.


That is very reasonable, and 90 degree wind shifts certainly make it easier to judge which direction is considered upwind.

But I do think that smaller increments of wind shift would also work.

Basically if the wind was coming out of the NE quadrant, anywhere BETWEEN 0 and 90 degrees, then you could not use a blue card to proceed either North, 0 degrees, or East, 90 degrees, because both would be considered upwind. but you could use one of the red or green cards to tack upwind. If the wind is coming directly out of the North, then only direct upwind travel towards the North would be restricted, and the same for other cardinal directions. Of course that means that 20 degrees has the same effect as 40 degrees and 60 degrees and 80 degrees wind direction.

Thinking again, a better variant would be to allow a wind shift of exactly 45 degrees, instead of trying to translate the method of turning the card as described in the original variant. This would provide wind shifts that are more reasonable, while still making the shift large enough to be significant, and clear enough to avoid awkward judgement calls.

Anyway, thanks again for putting this out there!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tradewinds Ted wrote:
Dnasearchr wrote:
Since you can only turn in 90 degree increments in this game, I took it that the wind direction changes were only in 90 degrees.


That is very reasonable, and 90 degree wind shifts certainly make it easier to judge which direction is considered upwind.

But I do think that smaller increments of wind shift would also work.

Basically if the wind was coming out of the NE quadrant, anywhere BETWEEN 0 and 90 degrees, then you could not use a blue card to proceed either North, 0 degrees, or East, 90 degrees, because both would be considered upwind. but you could use one of the red or green cards to tack upwind. If the wind is coming directly out of the North, then only direct upwind travel towards the North would be restricted, and the same for other cardinal directions. Of course that means that 20 degrees has the same effect as 40 degrees and 60 degrees and 80 degrees so wind

Thinking again, a better variant would be to allow a wind shift of exactly 45 degrees, instead of trying to translate the method of turning the card as described in the original variant. This would provide wind shifts that are more reasonable, while still making the shift large enough to be significant, and clear enough to avoid awkward judgement calls.

Anyway, thanks again for putting this out there!


Good ideas here!

No problem. I am hoping to have a good time playing this with my friend and our daughters. :-)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanuel FILLE
msg tools
Hello,

I'm one of the game creators.
I'm very glad that you find it interesting. I do agree with you that it would be great to find ways of using the material in order to make a more realsitic game.

What do you think of the simulation rules on the web site ?

The use of wind is more interesting I think.

None the less I agree that it is a completly different game...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Emmanuelf wrote:
Hello,

I'm one of the game creators.
I'm very glad that you find it interesting. I do agree with you that it would be great to find ways of using the material in order to make a more realsitic game.

What do you think of the simulation rules on the web site ?

The use of wind is more interesting I think.

None the less I agree that it is a completly different game...


Do you mean the French website rules or the advanced start rules??

Please provide a link to the rules.

Thank you
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanuel FILLE
msg tools
Hello,

On the french website (I don't have the time to translate the rules and I'm sorry for that) there is three different set of rules.

Piratta
Advanced
Simulation

In the advanced rules, you separate the cards and every player starts with the same hand of cards.
The wind direction is given by the game box (there are pictures).
It is less influenced by luck. But the game is quite similar to the original one.

In the simulation rules there are
- a deck of cards to simulate the wind variations
- the ship speed depends of it direction to the wind
_ short and long blue arrows are the cards to mesurate the ship movement
- every player starts with 2 skipper cards, 3 crew cards and 1 weather card.
This version is very different from the original one


In every cases, I encourage players to start the game with a starting zone and not on line the way you do one the basic rules.

I hope my broken english is of any help.



It is a totally different game but it is very fun to play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.