Popular Tags: [View All]
Juan F. Santana Miralles
Spain
San Juan de Aznalfarache
Seville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi!

We´ve played several 3player games, and we are really enjoying this game.

We are playing with the Columbia Games edition, and we have two issues with the rules:

1-We find the cavalry far too powerfull in defense: it´s better to wait with your cav. untill the enemy charges you, because you´ll get to fight first, and with shock bonus.

It could make sense if Inf. engages Cav., because it could represent a countercharge by the more mobile cav... but it really sound weird when it´s cav vs cav.

The house rule would be that when cav. engages cav. the defender doesn´t get the shock bonus.

2-We´ve also found that alone artillery is too good in defense. It works like infantry units (only exception is that they can´t form square!) but with a huge advantage during first round of fire.

THe house rule would be that lone artillery (not supported by inf or cav) would be eliminated during second round of combat without roling dice.

I´d like to read what the people think about these two rules...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Whyman
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I need more TIME
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the AH edition (2nd edition) artillery don't get to fire once engaged and cavalry don't get a shock bonus in defense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan F. Santana Miralles
Spain
San Juan de Aznalfarache
Seville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, I´m aware of that, bu I think that AH and Columbia editions are quite different in rules, in number of blocks, etc... and I don´t know if that change would change the game too much... what do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the general increase in firepower from 2nd to 3rd edition is the source of a lot of problems, including what you mention. Contrary to intuition, less firepower is more tension in this system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Antonio Rivero
Spain
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
Gran Canaria- Canary Islands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hola Juan,
After many years I am playing back again this nice game and I am also fixing some house rules myself :-)

I have seen yours and I like your proposal about defending cavalry, it makes sense to me what you said , no shock bonus for them. I am going to apply that !!!

I read some other variant proposal for cavalry where they can fire at F1 after moving one space (in same turn). If they move 2 spaces then they can not fire.

However concerning artillery I think that its too heavy to eliminate the artillery on the second round automatically. I would rather give the attacker a fire F3 against artillery when engaged and when they dont have support of infantry or cavalry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Menichelli
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I believe the rule about cavalry receiving F3 even when engaged by another unit represents counter-charging. Cavalry was not given to standing their ground if charged, so it makes sense that cavalry gets F3 on the first round of combat after engaging or being engaged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.