5 Posts

Xiangqi» Forums » General

Subject: Recommendations for English-language Xiang Qi books for beginners rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
Traditional games that have survived the test of time and ancient games that have not are a part of our heritage.
badge
m'n - the Egyptian hieroglyph for board game, also signifying "stability" and used phonetically as in the last syllable of "Tutankhamun"
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking for English-language Xiang Qi books for beginners that will teach me basic strategy and prepare me for playing at higher levels. They do not need to explain the rules or be too basic.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This site has some used books on the subject...

http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?mtype=B&keyword=chinese+ch...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Mabie
United States
Oxford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This book does get into the basics of the rules, but it also has sections on tactics as well as mid- and endgame puzzles to work through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Games are not movies or stories; they're vehicles for creative decision making.
badge
"Desire makes everything blossom; possession makes everything wither and fade." (Marcel Proust)
mbmbmbmbmb
swmabie wrote:
This book does get into the basics of the rules, but it also has sections on tactics as well as mid- and endgame puzzles to work through.

I've had that one for a long time, but it didn't work for me. It teaches the rules, then becomes so terse and advanced that I couldn't follow it.

I recently got this book, and I find it much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.