Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmb
Here are the winners of the 2010 Board Game Golden Geek Awards. Congratulations to all the nominees and winners!

Game of the Year
Hansa Teutonica

Game of the Year Runners Up
Dungeon Lords
Steam

Best 2-Player Game
Washington's War

Best Abstract Game
FITS

Best Artwork & Presentation
War of the Ring Collector's Edition

Best Card Game
Innovation

Best Children's Game
Forbidden Island

Best Expansion
Dominion: Prosperity

Best Family Game
Tobago

Best Innovative
Catacombs

Best Party Game
Telestrations

Best Print & Play
Zombie in my Pocket

Best Strategy Game
Hansa Teutonica

Best Thematic
War of the Ring Collector's Edition

Best Wargame
Washington's War

RPG Golden Geek Awards announced here:
http://rpggeek.com/thread/586124

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hinze
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
Fanboy Radio - the voice of comics and gaming - fanboyradio.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Major congrats to all the well-deserved winners & nominees!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardBored wrote:
Is it bad that I havent played ANY of these? What does that say about my geekyness level? Which should I put on my Christmas list?

Congrats anyway... I guess....

A version of Zombie in my Pocket is free, so you have no excuse, especially as it's one of the very best PnP's in the world!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chien-Tsun Chen
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
FNH1 wrote:
BoardBored wrote:
Is it bad that I havent played ANY of these? What does that say about my geekyness level? Which should I put on my Christmas list?

A version of Zombie in my Pocket is free, so you have no excuse, especially as it's one of the very best PnP's in the world!

I have only played Dungeon Lords.
But I just downloaded Zombie in My Pocket one minute ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thomas
United States
Coshocton
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
FNH1 wrote:
BoardBored wrote:

Well, I was gonna have Andrew print this up for me, but he can't because the artist opted out! I don't understand, didn't the artist knew it was for a PnP?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pearsall
United States
Castleton
New York
flag msg tools
Check out my blog, Board Game Radar!!!
badge
Stop! That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
marvac wrote:
FNH1 wrote:
BoardBored wrote:

Well, I was gonna have Andrew print this up for me, but he can't because the artist opted out! I don't understand, didn't the artist knew it was for a PnP?

Huh? I don't understand what you mean that the artist opted out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardBored wrote:

I don't think there's any question, Hansa Teutonica needs to go on your Christmas List... given your love of euros in your top 10, you owe it to yourself to experience this game! Best new euro I've come across in the last few years much less the last year alone...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardBored wrote:

Tobago is a great one. The bits themselves are awesome but it has a really unique game mechanic that makes it interesting.

Innovation is good, but I'm finding that it takes the right group to enjoy it.

I love Catacombs, but then again I'm a dexterity junkie.

They didn't have a cooperative category, but I would definitely keep an eye out for the next print run of Wok Star.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
Wow, Summoner Wars was completely shut out?
surprise
That surprises me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
United States
Lawton
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marvac wrote:
FNH1 wrote:
BoardBored wrote:

Whats groping have to do with this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.L.W.
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent choices all around. I'm especially keen now to play Washington's War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani (@rpggeek)
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those interested, the RPG Side has also been announced:

2010 RPG GoldenGeeks - And the Winners Are....

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Lopuszanski
United States
North Wales
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So hear me roar! RAWR!
badge
Her Serenity, The Lady of Pain.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, interesting. I'm surprised "Hansa Teutonica" won only because I haven't heard more hype about it on the Geek.

Of course with my gaming group they have ALL (save for me) played it and loved it. Now I know I'll have to get them to pull it out and play it with me this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
The Back Alley gets no respect.
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
Game of the Year
Hansa Teutonica

Game of the Year Runners Up
Dungeon Lords
Steam

Wow, that's amazing. The winner and one of the runners up were from the final three Strategy Game of the Year category. The other runner up was only in the Innovation category (oh, and in the final 10 of Strategy Game of the Year).

I think the only excitement about Game of the Year will be when we have one of the three Strategy nominees win its category and another of the Strategy nominees win the overall award. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Stexe wrote:
Wow, interesting. I'm surprised "Hansa Teutonica" won only because I haven't heard more hype about it on the Geek.

Of course with my gaming group they have ALL (save for me) played it and loved it. Now I know I'll have to get them to pull it out and play it with me this time.

Well there has been plenty of "buzz" for it at least on this part of the Geek
Best New To You Metalist 2010 summaries

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
Trumpy, you can do stupid things!
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Stexe wrote:

Well there has been plenty of "buzz" for it at least on this part of the Geek
Best New To You Metalist 2010 summaries

There was plenty of hype but the printing has been a long time coming.

Heck, it was popular enough that the designer made a whole new map; that has to count for something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Avtges
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
CONCEALED -3
badge
It's not easy being green.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was rooting against Hansa Teutonica but figured it had a strong chance to win. I really did not enjoy my one playing of it. Much too dry, meaningless theme, and just pushing cubes around. Sad now that it won because it means I'll probably have to play it at least one more time if only to see if I missed something the first time around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
PollutedMonkey wrote:
BoardBored wrote:

Well your missing out, to say the least

Not necessarily. I've played the majority of the game of the year choices, and didn't find even one worth adding to my collection. About the only one that _might_ find its way into my collection and stick is Washington's War.

Which isn't to say that I found the past year a poor one for boardgames; it's just that the ones I enjoy aren't the ones the voters selected. Of course, my tastes not aligning w/ BGG doesn't qualify as news.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sorry but I think it is a total joke that a deluxe release (War of the Ring) won two categories. No new rules, no new anything, just a super fancy deluxe version. Can't we stick with the idea that "game of the year" be something that was released that year (or perhaps Essen during the previous year because Essen releases are so late in the year). This feels like the awards are for the most hyped or most sold games not necessarily the best games. Of course that is purely my opinion and I am sure not a popular one on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd really like to know how the entrants were selected. Steam and FITS have been available since June 2009 (evidenced here and here) whereas Dominion: Prosperity has only been available since October 2010. It seems like they can't be in the same contest for "game of the year".

On top of that, Zombie in my Pocket has been available since 2007. Why is it on this list?

Here's hoping Puerto Rico takes the 2011 Golden Geek game of the year award! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanuel Aquin
Canada
Mont-Saint-Hilaire
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
And D-Day Dice, too!
badge
I'm an "A"vatar.
mbmbmb
Congrats to the winners!

But seriously, what's the point in naming these the 2010 Awards if all games published in the last century are eligible?

Would it be so hard to limit the scope of the awards to "games published between this date and that one"?

What's to prevent Agricola, Puerto Rico or Twilight Struggle from winning every year, then?

Hell, I could nominate Go next year! Best 2 player game! Try to beat that!

As someone suggested in another thread, maybe changing the name of the awards to "Geek Hall of Fame" or something would clarify the awards. And prevent endless discussions about who's worthy and who's not... (well, maybe not entirely prevent them, but still).

Edit: Damn, Kevin beat me by a minute! Now I look like the guy who didn't read the thread entirely. Next time, I'll write faster!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! This list very accurately matches some of the most played games in our public game group this year. I didn't really need confirmation of our members' great taste, but it's a neat confirmation just the same.

All must bow to the awesomeness that is HANSA T!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a date limit, but it's a little ridiculous IMO.

The date limit for this year was:
All games released in 2009 or later which have not previously won a golden geek award (nominated but lost is OK).

So for example, Seaside, Alchemy, and Prosperity were all up for the award for expansion, and Prosperity was just hitting wide release when everyone was voting, so it was bound to be popular (that it is good certainly helps, but good + fresh on people's minds = platinum, pun intended).

I personally feel like the GG award should represent a 12-month period, and there should be some sort of cutoff about 2-3 months before the nominations start, so if the nominations are starting (e.g.) October 1, then games would be eligible if released July 1 2009 - June 30 2010. That gives a chance for the games released in the first half of the year to be widely available and played before nominations start, while things that came out later in the year last year and might not have been played in time for last year's GG awards can now be voted on.

One big problem with this is that I don't think the BGG database tracks release DATE more precisely than release YEAR. And many games don't have a specific release DATE (although increasingly they do). Still, I think we could get a month narrowed down for most of these titles.

Bottom line: it is a little ridiculous to have a "game of the year" award for a time period spanning 22 months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:

All games released in 2009 or later which have not previously won a golden geek award (nominated but lost is OK).

So for example, Seaside, Alchemy, and Prosperity were all up for the award for expansion, and Prosperity was just hitting wide release when everyone was voting, so it was bound to be popular (that it is good certainly helps, but good + fresh on people's minds = platinum, pun intended).

I personally feel like the GG award should represent a 12-month period, and there should be some sort of cutoff about 2-3 months before the nominations start, so if the nominations are starting (e.g.) October 1, then games would be eligible if released July 1 2009 - June 30 2010. That gives a chance for the games released in the first half of the year to be widely available and played before nominations start, while things that came out later in the year last year and might not have been played in time for last year's GG awards can now be voted on.

One big problem with this is that I don't think the BGG database tracks release DATE more precisely than release YEAR. And many games don't have a specific release DATE (although increasingly they do). Still, I think we could get a month narrowed down for most of these titles.

Bottom line: it is a little ridiculous to have a "game of the year" award for a time period spanning 22 months.
Agreed, but given the rather farcical nature of the awards as a whole it doesn't seem to out of line. I think if you really wanted to do something like that they should do what the CSR awards do, which is having the date of eligibility being the previous year only, so January 1st 2009 - December 31st 2009. This gives everyone time to play more of the games as well. Given though the focus of BGG on being more cutting edge, I suspect this would go against their marketing strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
The Back Alley gets no respect.
mbmbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:

That is only the automated "first cut" list. During the nomination phase, when the members of BGG determine the list of 10 nominees in each category (so we have only ourselves to blame if we see a problem), members can add any game that hasn't won in the past. I've nominated games from 40 or more years ago. If enough people did that, they could make the short list of 10, but of course that doesn't happen.

I see nothing wrong with the current process. Nothing at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.