United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2015
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My whole family sat down for a game this afternoon and we selected Worm Up! When we added this game to our collection for Christmas last year, my thought was that we might all be able to play this together with everyone trying their hardest and finish with a close game. Turns out that it does work that way. Of course, this means there is a fair amount of "luck" in the game but it works just right for our group which has ages ranging from 2 to 5 to 7 to a couple of 30-something parents.

A very quick summary of game play is that each player is racing their worm to the finish. Each player chooses one of their tiles (4, 5, 6, 7, X) each turn and gets to move their worm based on the number they selected. If two or more players select the same tile then they cancel each other out and don't move this turn. The X allows you to move the finish line and move your worm any number not bid by another player. First worm to hit the finish line wins. Lowest number moves first.

In this particular game, I was off to a killer start while others were canceling out their turns by choosing the same numbers. I raced out to a nice lead about half way to the finish line with my wife close behind. Ivory (7) was doing pretty well with Dane (2) a bit behind her and Azlea (5) not off the starting line yet. Fortunately, Azalea has a good state of mind or this could have been difficult.

In the next 3 rounds, all of us canceled each other except for Azalea who raced back into the thick of things. My wife was openly trying to pick the same as me and actually hit it right on for several turns. Whenever she didn't get it right, Dane did and I ended up stationary for most of the end of the game. I would have finished second had we kept everyone going, but Azalea came through strong in the end for the win and a heck of a come back.

As I thought, this game does work well for a family with a wide range of ages. There can be pretty big swings and, as long as everyone is prepared for that, it is a lot of fun. We all had fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.