Popular Tags: [View All]
Ananda Gupta
United States
Columbia
MD
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason Matthews and I sat down to have it out over Labyrinth this weekend. We rolled for sides and I took the U.S. It was my 4th game and his 1st.

Things started out badly for me, with a 5-point Prestige hit from the turn 1 RC of Afghanistan; Jason was additionally able to secure the Kazakh Strain on turn 1 despite Central Asia testing to Fair (groan); he didn't actually try to use it until the last turn of the game (on France, natch), but its presence compelled me to alert more plots than I'd have liked.

I was able to keep Pakistan secure, but a bad decision to play Leak (I figured since my prestige was already in the cellar, the chance of its actually going up was worth taking) caused Pakistan to go Neutral. Not that four consecutive rolls of '1' on Pakistan War of Ideas made things any easier. Jason had his own share of bad dice, with two major jihads on Poor countries failing (and, in Jordan, not even getting a Besieged Regime)... followed by play of Mossad and Shin Bet, which brought him to 3 cells on the board. Since Central Asia was Islamist Rule, though, he was able to recover and get his board presence back. He did joke that if the US plays Bin Ladin (which did not happen in our game), it should block "US Election."

The game ended at the end of the deck (we were playing the short game) after two more WoI rolls on the Gulf States failed to get them to Good, and ensured the game for the Jihadists. We both enjoyed the game tremendously and would definitely play again. The production values are top-notch and this is by far the best non-hex-wargame map GMT has ever done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the session report! I was really curious to hear what the TS crew thought of this one. Hopefully a full-fledged review is coming soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ananda/Jason -- I'm honored! This was a historic moment!

Glad you enjoyed the game.

Best regards and holiday wishes to you both.

Volko

PS Ananda: I'm still smarting from the time you accepted my offer of Armistice in PoG....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ananda Gupta
United States
Columbia
MD
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Peace was the last thing you were expecting! I look forward to a rematch.

Eryn -- I try not to review games, just comment on them in ratings. Especially games that are similar to the ones I like to design and play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.