Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: fan-redesign [+] Dune [+] [View All]
Ilya Baranovsky
Russia
Novosibirsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I'm making Dune redesign (one of the first reason is because i want to play Dune in russian )
If you are interested, any kind of positive/negative feedback or suggestions will be really helpfull for me.

UPDATE
All files and links are now here
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/61499/ilya-77-dune-compone...

Not included yet in this redesign:
Player Shields
List of Karama Powers & Treachery cards list
Faction Power sheets
----------

Русский перевод в черновом варианте: http://www.4shared.com/dir/KfIzawgF/Dune_russian.html
Обсуждение русского перевода: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/641688/rabochij-topik-dyuna-...

---------
Also see
leaders in card variant by
Peter De Bruycker
Belgium
Gent (Desteldonk)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Updated Dune rules by
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb

----------

Components in 3D

Map

Map close-up

Tokens & Combat Wheels

Alliance & Bonus cards

Leader disks

Kwisatz Haderach & Bonus cards

• [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Mulnar
Germany
Berlin
not Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
most splendid. and by the way, i subcribe to every contribution by you. your graphical work is simply capital.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Pickard
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have any comments or suggestions. I am eagerly waiting for the complete redesign. I hope that next time my group plays Dune, it will be with your set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Pickard
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One other thing: I certainly hope your work is being seen by sdome of the big game publishers. I would love to see your stuff in my local game store!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collins
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW... and I thought your WizWar was good!!!!!

this is some of the most superb redesign work I have ever seen!!! keep it up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beautiful work Ilya!

Your illustration and design skills blow me away.

Those cards...AMAZING!

Thanks for all of this.

On a quick glance at the Traitor cards I would suggest that you use " Guild Rep." instead of "Representative".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that's very impressive. Looks like my version has gotten blown out of the water! It's a huge project, and that's amazing you are doing a complete new set of illustrations. I think I worked about 3 months on mine but reused the original illustrations. So good job redoing all that work. Wish I could draw like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Leao
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
This is incredible...looks amazing can't wait until it is done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian B
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Scotland
flag msg tools
The truth is a lemon meringue!
mbmbmbmbmb
The re-design it absolutely amazing. It's got a really nice feel and a nice side bonus is the light colouring which will make it much more ink/printer friendly!

drmabuse00 wrote:

On a quick glance at the Traitor cards I would suggest that you use " Guild Rep." instead of "Representative".

I'd agree.

I think you might space out the paragraphs of text on the Treachery cards more like those on the Traitor deck. Some of the paragraphs have a line break between paragraphs and some don't which looks a bit odd. There is not a great deal of space so maybe you just have a 'half line break' after the paragraph. In Word this would be in the paragraph settings in the Spacing section and be called 'after' and you'd set it to 6pt if the text was 12pt.

e.g. on Chaumurky you have

Use during battle.
Kills the opponent’s leader unless
opponent plays Snooper card.
Killed leaders do not add their
strength to the battle.
-------------------------------------LINE BREAK
Winner may keep or discard this
card.
Loser must discard this card.

It might look nicer and makes more sense like this:

Use during battle.
Kills the opponent’s leader unless
opponent plays Snooper card.
Killed leaders do not add their
strength to the battle.
Winner may keep or discard this
card.
Loser must discard this card.

By the way what design software are you using to create this?

Ian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
Looks like my version has gotten blown out of the water!

Not so, both are equally stunning!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree: both versions are beautiful. More effort must be put into Dune by fans than any other out there. I only wish Fantasy Flight was putting half of this kind of effort into a real re-design. (Or if they are putting effort into it, let us know something about how it's going!) These new fan designs are super cool, but what the game *really* needs is a full *official* rules makeover...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BEAUTIFUL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tempus42 wrote:
...but what the game *really* needs is a full *official* rules makeover...

A huge "HELL, YEAH!" to that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carter
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really great design and artwork. I'm surprised DoW or various other companies haven't commissioned you do some work for them. Like WizWar, Dune is long overdue for a remake, so many thanks for the effort.

To anyone who plans to make a new set out of this, please make two so that I can buy one off you (and/or trade my existing copy).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian B
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ilya 77 wrote:
If you are interested, any kind of positive/negative feedback or suggestions will be really helpfull for me.

I've spent some more time looking at the bits. Here are some more comments:

* The planet on the Spice cards looks OK to me. If anything you might replace the thick, dark border with the circles on it for a thinner dark border that is uniform.

* As noted by someone else against one of your images I don't think you need to put the spice blow number on the board. Having it on the card is enough and the board would look nicer without the number.

* On the spice cards you might try and change the text so the number is shown only once but where the number appears in the sentence it is as large as the number you currently have at the right e.g.:

Add
.......spice on Sihaya Ridge

Obviously make the 6 as tall as the three lines (sorry the limits of the forum editor doesn't help!)

* I'm not 100% sure on the main worm graphic ...

* What purpose does it serve to have the x/y numbering on the bottom right of the Treachery cards? e.g. 7/33 on Chaumurky.

* When you have finalised the Treachery cards it would be nice to have a duplicate set that does not include the green or red optional rules, so that those that don't want to make a set with these rules do not have them confusing players.

* In this thread http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/576586/house-rules-for-l... about rules balance Glenn notes that the way that he would fix one of the issues with Bene Gesserit being overpowered would be:

"IMO, the voice is as close to a broken mechanism in the game as it gets. I think the best way to deal with it is to diversify the treachery deck so that the voice has a harder time dealing with all the different weapons and defences available."

It seems that we have an ideal opportunity with your redesign for you to create a few more attack/defend cards that could be added to the Treachery deck. What these would be is beyond me as I have only just started reading Dune!

I'll post to the rules thread to alert Glenn and the others to this new redesign.

* Speaking of other threads, there is a lot of activity on this thread http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/586842/soo-soo-sook-2010... about the rulebook. I suspect the simplest solution is to pass the rules text to you so you can do a great job like you have done with your other rules books. Again I will post in that thread linking here.

* The tokens are just awesome. My only comment being that the star to indicate special troops does not stand out as much as it might. It's a very similar colour to the main figure which already has a 'busy' outline so the star just looks like part of that outline. Perhaps make it bright blue?

* It might be nice for the Storm marker to be a semi-circle shape with a concave side that matches the circumference of the planet?

So lots of feedback, even without my suggestions the redesign is fantastic, I'm just trying to give you some ideas which you can ponder over.

Many thanks for doing this.
Ian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Batz wrote:
Speaking of other threads, there is a lot of activity on this thread http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/586842/soo-soo-sook-2010... about the rulebook. I suspect the simplest solution is to pass the rules text to you so you can do a great job like you have done with your other rules books. Again I will post in that thread linking here.

Once I'm done, the rules will be available for other people to re-format. Alternatively, I can also adjust the wording to fix Ilya's design, and add a new background/boarder to match it, and we're done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian B
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slev wrote:
Batz wrote:
Speaking of other threads, there is a lot of activity on this thread http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/586842/soo-soo-sook-2010... about the rulebook. I suspect the simplest solution is to pass the rules text to you so you can do a great job like you have done with your other rules books. Again I will post in that thread linking here.

Once I'm done, the rules will be available for other people to re-format. Alternatively, I can also adjust the wording to fix Ilya's design, and add a new background/boarder to match it, and we're done.

That sounds like a perfect solution, thanks Slev!
Ian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great... Now I don't know which one to build, this or Scott's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg CZ
Hungary
BUDAPEST
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
build both.

If units die on one board, they arrive to the other to fight for spice in afterlife.

zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Mulnar
Germany
Berlin
not Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sort of like a dune: godstorm. a tllelaxxul (or samething like that) mini game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
superjosef wrote:
tllelaxxul (or samething like that)

Tlielaxu.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg CZ
Hungary
BUDAPEST
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slev wrote:
superjosef wrote:

Tlielaxu.

Tleilaxu
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leaxe wrote:
Slev wrote:
superjosef wrote:

Tlielaxu.

Tleilaxu

Ph33r my typing fail!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilya Baranovsky
Russia
Novosibirsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Sorry for late reply, i didn' expect so much activity here :)

Batz wrote:
I think you might space out the paragraphs of text on the Treachery cards more like those on the Traitor deck.

Fixed where it was possible:Treachery cards

Batz wrote:
By the way what design software are you using to create this?

Corel Draw.

Batz wrote:
I don't think you need to put the spice blow number on the board

You are the second who told me about that, i guess i must remove them. (i was thinking that numbers may help players to see the spice density without remembering the spice deck, and plan their strategy)

Batz wrote:
The planet on the Spice cards looks OK to me. If anything you might replace the thick, dark border with the circles on it for a thinner dark border that is uniform.

I agree, it should be more simple (borders)

Batz wrote:
On the spice cards you might try and change the text so the number is shown only once but where the number appears in the sentence it is as large as the number you currently have at the right

I understand what you mean, but ithink it will break current card design.

Batz wrote:
I'm not 100% sure on the main worm graphic ...

Made a new graphic (i used picture by Sparth as reference, but it's not scaned or traced):
Is it better?

Updated Spice cards

Batz wrote:
it would be nice to have a duplicate set that does not include the green or red optional rules
I think i will just remove them.(Bene Gesserit optional rule is written on their shield, and looks like almost nobody plays The Duel)

Batz wrote:
It seems that we have an ideal opportunity with your redesign for you to create a few more attack/defend cards that could be added to the Treachery deck.
Interesting, i just need to know what are the names/types of these cards.

Batz wrote:
I suspect the simplest solution is to pass the rules text to you so you can do a great job like you have done with your other rules books. Again I will post in that thread linking here.
I'm reading this thread since it was started :)

[q"Batz"]My only comment being that the star to indicate special troops does not stand out as much as it might.[/q] I to think about it. maybe something like weapon icon on cards, but smaller and with star symbol.

Quote:
It might be nice for the Storm marker to be a semi-circle shape with a concave side that matches the circumference of the planet?

ScottE wrote:
It's a huge project, and that's amazing you are doing a complete new set of illustrations. I think I worked about 3 months on mine but reused the original illustrations.

I didn't realise how much big it could be. Card illustrations is not the hardest part, most of them are simple 3d models traced into vector. Maybe much more time was spent on fixing colors, text and other details.

Slev wrote:
Alternatively, I can also adjust the wording to fix Ilya's design
Would be great, i suppose there are a lot of mistakes in my card text.

==========
I also have some questions:

1) What faction names format would be better:
-Emperor, Corrino or House Corrino
-Guild or Spacing Guild
-Harkonnen or House Harkonnen
-Atreides or House Atreides ?

2) What if i change Fremen emblem for two Wormhooks instead of two Chrysknifes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Pickard
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's great that you are getting lots of feedback and suggestions on this awesome redesign, but I hope that you will stick to your own vision on this project. You have a unique style, and when it's all said and done, I look forward to having an Ilya 77 version of Dune to set in front of my group.

So whether it's a change to the worm design or card text layout or anything else, in the end I will be perfectly happy with your artistic decision.

Again, thanks so much for your huge contribution to this wonderful game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [24] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.