5 Posts

Bridgetown Races» Forums » Rules

Subject: How to use the "First" special action rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having a pawn in the "First" special action space allows you to move your racer first instead of the start player for one of the three turns of the racing phase. Since the rules state that this action can be used in the first, second or third turn of the racing phase (actually I don't it's even possible to use it on the third turn is it? - because then your other two pawns will be off the transportation wheel already!), when does the player with this ability need to state that he'll use it? Does the starting player need to ask the player with the "First" special ability at the start of each turn whether he plans to use it that turn?

Also, the rules state regarding special actions that "the first player to do so is the only player who may use that special action that round" - does that mean that more than one player may place their pawn on a specific special action during the transportation phase, if they feel confident that as a result of turn order they'll get to use it before the player who already has a pawn on that special action space?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, I'm sure Carey will give you the official rules...

...but when I play the game, if someone has a pawn on First, we give them a second before the Start player takes his movement to announce he wants to use First privilege. (Nearly 100% of the time, "First" gets used in the FIRST round of movement.) I would not require a player to announce ahead of time if they will use it first or second round. (And I agree with you that 3rd round is not possible.)

The rule regarding the Special Action spaces is actual specifying that there is a limit of 1 pawn per special action.

When placing "coordinators", the first player to claim a special action gets that space and no other player may play there.

Also remember that although many DIFFERENT players can all select the same mode of transportation, each individual player may only select a particular mode of transport ONCE. So, no far having 2 motorcycle riders in the same round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carey Grayson
United States
Seaside
OR
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
EndersGame wrote:
Having a pawn in the "First" special action space allows you to move your racer first instead of the start player for one of the three turns of the racing phase. Since the rules state that this action can be used in the first, second or third turn of the racing phase (actually I don't it's even possible to use it on the third turn is it? - because then your other two pawns will be off the transportation wheel already!), when does the player with this ability need to state that he'll use it? Does the starting player need to ask the player with the "First" special ability at the start of each turn whether he plans to use it that turn?

Brian's right on this one. But I'll reiterate, if the "start player" wants to ask, that is okay, but he or she doesn't have to. The player who has a pawn on the "First" special action is ulitimately responsible for declaring if he is going first on the first or second racing round - you are right that it would be impossible to do this on the third round. modest

EndersGame wrote:
Also, the rules state regarding special actions that "the first player to do so is the only player who may use that special action that round" - does that mean that more than one player may place their pawn on a specific special action during the transportation phase, if they feel confident that as a result of turn order they'll get to use it before the player who already has a pawn on that special action space?

By "...that round..." I am refering to one of the five game rounds. For instance, if it is round 2 and you place your pawn on the "First" action, you are the only player who may play that special action during round 2 of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rudolph
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: How to use the "First" special action
Another quick question. If I choose the First Action special action and decide to go first in the first turn of the of the phase, does it revert to the normal turn order for the remainder of the phases during the round? So if I am normally third in the turn order and choose to use the First action in phase 1, then I would revert back to being the third player to play in the remaining phases during that round. Hope that makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
Putzmanrudy1 wrote:
Another quick question. If I choose the First Action special action and decide to go first in the first turn of the of the phase, does it revert to the normal turn order for the remainder of the phases during the round? So if I am normally third in the turn order and choose to use the First action in phase 1, then I would revert back to being the third player to play in the remaining phases during that round. Hope that makes sense.

Wow, sorry I missed this question John!

You revert to normal play order, but in the round of actions you claimed FIRST your normal position is skipped. For example:

"B" is holding FIRST privilege.
normal turn order is A,B,C,D
1st round: A, B, C, D
then, before A takes his action in the 2nd round of turns, B announces he wants to be FIRST
2nd round: B, A, C, D
3rd round: A, B, C, D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.