5 Posts

Bridgetown Races» Forums » Rules

Subject: Entering a streetcar rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can enter a streetcar if your racer occupies a space that is directly adjacent to the blue train track. In such an instance, does moving to the first space on the blue train track count as part of the usual 5 movements possible by streetcar? Or do you first enter the streetcar by moving to the adjacent space on the blue train track, and then do 5 movements?

Also: the rules specifically state that an overpass is considered adjacent for this purpose - but what about a regular road that is adjacent to the blue train track? Presumably entering a streetcar in this way is permissible as well.

To illustrate: am I correct that if your pawn was on Fremont Bridge (see picture below), you could legally enter the streetcar? And that entering the streetcar by moving this single space would count as one space towards the 5 spaces allowed for streetcar travel?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
Carey will hopefully respond, but here is my understanding:

1) Never take a step for "free". If you start adjacent to the light-rail you MAY use blue light-rail transportation, but your first step of movement must be ONTO the light-rail and all further steps must be confined to light-rail.

2a) Even though Overpasses are adjacent, I don't think you can violate the rule regarding you Walk (white) to cross an overpass? I wouldn't allow that. (But I don't have the rules with me and I don't remember the exception you are referring to.)

2b) ...so, only the normal road routes adjacent to light-rail can allow a player to use light-rail transportation to jump on the tracks with their first movement point.

3) Yes, your example is correct.

Remember that all forms of movement may move on the light-rail track (they are normal streets too!) but if you select light-rail transportation you may only use that if you are already on or 1 step from getting on the track.

I keep saying light-rail, but I mean streetcar. sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carey Grayson
United States
Seaside
OR
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian's responses are all correct - except number two - and this is in the rules: you can enter the streetcar from an overpass. This does not violate the Walking rules, it is only for entering, not exiting.

In summary:

You count your movement as soon as you move your racer whether you are adjacent to or on the blue track.

You may enter the streetcar either from the bridge or from the road or from an overpass as long as you are adjacent or in the blue track.

Carey
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Hauss
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
My motto.
badge
Jabel (Enchantica dragon)
mbmbmbmbmb
brokasaphasia wrote:

2a) Even though Overpasses are adjacent, I don't think you can violate the rule regarding you Walk (white) to cross an overpass? I wouldn't allow that. (But I don't have the rules with me and I don't remember the exception you are referring to.)

In the playtesting I did, you were allowed to board the street car from a space that was adjacent via an overpass. If you're not on the rail line when you start your streetcar turn, you can sort of consider the first step as "walking" to the streetcar.

I haven't bought my copy yet (though I plan to), so I haven't seen the final version of the rules, but I don't think Carey intended to change that.

[edit] I see Carey edited his response above to confirm this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I've been playing that bit wrong!

The more that I think about this rule, the more that I like it. It will give more power to the streetcar, and with its 5 speed it should make for more interesting tactical plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.