Hide
4 Posts

Operation Orient» Forums » General

Subject: Orient- Combining with Sturm Europa rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Curbo
msg tools
Hello- I am following Sturm Europa with interest, and this doubly so as I am a pacific theater fan. It seems a little strange and counterintuitive that when combined with original sturm europa, the axis players are split into land axis and naval axis rather than germany and japan.

The more so as it is said there can be only one victor- isn't it a bit strange that the Japanese Military would work in concert with the Wehrmacht against its country, or perhaps even odder, the Kriegsmarine with the IJN?

I would hope there would be an option for a combined game with one player controlling all of Germany and the other all of Japan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tan
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You could certainly play the game two player but you take the lowest VP total of the multiple sides you control. It's really not that counterintuitive (at least to me) to split Japan and the Western Allies into two. There was a huge power struggle and interservice rivalry on both sides. The Imperial Japanese Army wanted to invade Russia or India. The Imperial Japanese Navy wanted to attack Pearl Harbor and seize Commonwealth island assets. This lack of a coordinated effort was the undoing of the Axis. Imagine how devastating a simultaneous attack on the Soviet Union by Germany and Japan would have been in 1941. Could Moscow have possible held out with no Siberian reinforcements? On the flipside, there were many proponents of a Japan First strategy after Pearl Harbor. An all out effort against Germany would have ended the war much sooner as Japan never really posed a serious threat to the US even in the wildest of scenarios. The Japanese strategy was entirely predicated on a weak willed US which was actually the opposite of reality. Pearl Harbor galvinized our resolve in a manner they never imagined...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Coelho
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fascinating. I always enjoy it when a designer of something so seemingly clear-cut, like a war game, decides to take concepts and abstract them into the rules. It makes it incredibly fresh and probably even teaches the player a lesson in history.

So the Navies and Armies of the Axis/Allies are working against each other in a non-competitive way? Will they get separate decks? Would an Axis Naval player want to ever let the Western Allies army dig in to the Axis army in order to raise their own VPs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm skeptical of this split as well. While having one player control the land forces of both countries will certainly improve their coordination, it seems like if you want to put more than historical effort into the Japanese army, than the German effort will necessarily lag, due to lack of Ops. Also, how will production be handled? Is there a resource pool for the nation that both players spend from? If I were the Wehrmacht player I would certainly be pissed if the IJN player spent my precious oil building up German carriers, for example. It also seems like pulling off Sea Lion and the Med campaign will be even more challenging. However, the biggest problem I see is that the naval player might not have anything to do except attack convoys in the Atlantic until 2+ years into the game. That's even worse than the current Russian boredom problem in SE.

In other games I've seen a 2-player Axis faction have Italy controlled by the Japanese player. This seems to work pretty well, providing some necessary friction in Europe and Med without hamstringing either power.

I'm sure Michael has solutions in mind for these problems though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.