Subject: Exciting Season Play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's so much to love about this sports game. However, I wanted something more exciting, in the awarding of trophies, than just calculating who had the most points and determining an order of priority.

So I came up with this simple variant that allows you to take your team and see it perform against your opponents teams.

Season Play Variant

All rules of the normal game apply except:

1) Phase 2 Win Trophies
Push the team tokens off the board besides the Strength Value of the team.

Starting with the manager of the team that is lowest on the track, each manager throws three D6 and adds the pip value of the lowest die to their team strength.

This becomes their teams new final Points value for the season. Place the Team token on the space that matches their new Team Total.

Pass the dice to the next lowest Team manager and repeat.

When all Team managers have rolled their dice and placed their Team token on the Strength Track, award the trophies based on this final team position.

Example:

After stage 1 Draft Players the Teams are positioned as follows:

Team A 14 (highest player 2.16)
Team B 11 (highest player 2.10)
Team C 14 (highest player 2.12)
Team D 15 (highest player 2.07)

The team tokens are placed off the board next to the 11,14 and 15 spaces on the Strength Track.

Manager of Team B throws 3xD6 (2, 3 and 4) and adds 2 to their Teams score of 11. Player B places their Team Token on 13 on the Strength Track.

Manager of Team C throws 3xD6 (4, 4 and 5) and adds 4 to their Teams score of 14. Player C places their Team Token on 18 on the Strength Track.

Manager of Team A throws 3xD6 (1, 3 and 3) and adds 1 to their Teams score of 14. Player C places their Team Token on 15 on the Strength Track.

Manager of Team D throws 3xD6 (3, 6 and 6) and adds 3 to their Teams score of 18. Player D places their Team Token on 18 on the Strength Track.

The new final positions become:

Gold trophy - Player C 18 + best player 2.12
Silver trophy - Player D 18 + best player 2.07
Bronze trophy - Player A 15
Crystal trophy - Player B 13

In phase 5 'Update Team Strength', allocate the Team tokens as per the normal rules.

It's a small change but adds more excitement to the game, seeing how well the team that you created, actually performed on the field.
Changes in position will be small because it is increasingly difficult to score more than 1 on 3D6 roll. The chances of scoring a 6 are well over 1 in 200 (6x6x6=216). This still rewards your endeavours on team acquisitions but it now allows for unexpected changes in final League position. By not having the perfect knowledge of the final position, this simple change adds a lot of excitement to this wonderful sports game.

All edits: typos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a great variant! Thanks a lot for creating it

Best regards,
Xaykev
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We also play that the player that has Bill Bull (or Michael Jordan ha ha) on his team only throws 2 die, instead of 3, in the play-offs. Michael Jordan was famous for playing even better during the play-offs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Saul-Sehy
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised I haven't written about this yet. We've been using your variant for a year now. This is THE way we play the game.

Awesome idea. It adds lots of yelling and clapping to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Joe, I'm not often a great fan of dice but they do all a lot of tension and fun to this game.

I doubt we would ever want to play it any other way either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.