Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriele Pezzato
Italy
Padova
PD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Title. I own the Big Box (3rd edition), to which I added a couple more expansions (namely The Tower and King, Count & Cult). At this point I'm only missing the following expansions:

1. Catapult (reviews really put me away from this one)
2. Wheel of Fortune
3. other mini-expansions (like River I, Siege, Pest, Tunnel, ecc.)

Do you think it is a good idea to swap the base set for the WoF version? I could give the regular tiles to a friend, but I am not sure if it is worth the hussle and money

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collett
United States
Shawnee
KS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion, it isn't unless you want a little more luck to the game. I have both and I just put both sets together and don't play by the WoF rules and just have extra tiles in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Gumby
Australia
Taree
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't think the Wheel adds much. But kids may enjoy it. I think it only distracts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike S.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GabrielGeek wrote:

Do you think it is a good idea to swap the base set for the WoF version?

It sure is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HD Jensen
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have WoF and The New World, so I do not know the base game.

However in my playing circle we have enjoyed both games and find WoF different in the sense that you have an outside influence (the wheel of fortune). It gives a dimension that you have to consider, just like the surveyor in The New World.

But exchanging a game.....Is that not a "no do"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G K
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Mattel Electronics Presents
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would keep the original base game just so you can pick and choose which expansions you like to play with each time. I've got both and really look at WoF as another expansion that we use. It doesn't play so well when using some expansions like the count or river, unless you use the wheel "on the side" or some other modification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike S.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WoF is no expansion. It's basically just a base set with an expansion included. So all previous expansions for the regular base set can also be played with WoF. You only have 1 more decision to make before you start playing. Use the wheel or not.
Players with the regular base set don't have that option

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G K
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Mattel Electronics Presents
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is true that WoF is not an expansion. Our group just picks and chooses different expansions each game depending on what we feel like playing, and WoF is part of this mix.

As a sole base set, WoF is not the best when used with some expansions. You can set aside the wheel when using the Count or River, but also the tile distribution is different than the original game. So some expansions which were designed to compliment the orignal tile mix, like Inns & Cathedrals, work not quite as intended with WoF. That alone is probably not really a big deal, but with all the differences I definitely would never get rid of my orignal base set entirely and use only WoF.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Australia
Perth
Western Austrailia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you do want to buy it please go ahead, but please keep the base set. It's the best.

As you've heard, WoF adds much luck into the game. So it depends on whether you like having luck as a significant factor in a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike S.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah ... and if you don't like luck, then just play without the wheel. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.