Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Rivera
United States
Fountain
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Chateau Roquefort: A memory game about mice looking for cheese in an old French Chateau.

Provided by cuzzle

This is usually were I state that I will not go into the rules of the game because I’m very poor at this and others are much better at this. However as this is a child’s game so knowing a little about how it’s played is a must. The goal of this review is to give my perspective on the games I buy for my girls and answer the questions I normally ask myself before I buy a game for the kiddos.

Conclusion: (for those too lazy to read the whole thing) : A great little memory game with cool components but it is a bit costly
The cool thing about this game: Two things first the components for this game just looks really cool set up and second you get to push a row of tiles that are underneath a grid which could reveal a pit and force your opponent, usually the parent, into a hole and lose of your mouse, which at least in my family, then causes trash talk to ensue.

Basic Rules: The game is a 2 layered map that uses the bottom of the box and it’s plastic insert that has holes, mouse piece sized, placed in it as a base and nice plastic "towers" on the corners with cheese tiles on top of that then a grid that looks like a counter punch out put over the top and finally a layer of roof tiles. The object of the game is to get 2 of your 4 mice to 2 of the same type of 6 different cheese types at the same time and collect 4 different types of cheese. You do this through and action point system that gives you 4 action points a turn.

How many players can play? 2-4. This plays very well as a two player game and is considerably less volatile and chaos driven then when played with more people.

Age Range: 6 is a good starting point. A smart 4 or 5 year old could possibly move the pieces around and even understand the basic actions you can do but at that age it is probably more of a toy then an actual game.

Concepts or Skill set required: (for clarity sakes these are the skills required to play the game as a game in a competitive way. You can certainly play this as a let’s just move the maze to make daddy fall in the trap way and it is just as much fun to play.)
Small parts manipulation: There a few chunky chits that you are required to push under the board to move pieces around.

Planning Conception: This game allows you 4 actions a turn from 3 choices, some you can do only once while doing others each cost an action point So your child needs to be able to understand what each action is and what can be done with each.

Memorization: This is at its heart a memory game so to play the game well the little one will need to be able to concentrate long enough to remember were pieces are on the board.

Planning: To play this game well your kid will need to be able to plan one or two move ahead and understand what there actions do to the board.

What is the quality of the components (bang for the buck)? This game isn’t cheap but the components are really cool and as I said above set up it screams play the game with me. You get cute little plastic mouse figures in 4 different colors and sturdy cardboard pieces. The game is very nice looking and brought a smile to my daughters face and a squeal of let’s play this as soon as she saw it set up. Please note that the biggest fault with this game is putting it away but if you follow the direction in the manual and place mice in the hole first followed by the chits it will be no problem if not a small tea spoon will make getting the parts out of the holes easier.

How easy is it to learn? Farily easy with the hardest concept to learn is the action point system your shortie is going to need to be able to understand what s/he can do on any given turn. Given that the choices are fairly obvious but you get 4 actions for 3 choices so you will be able to do of the 3 at least twice, remove a roof tile (1 pt), move a mouse for 1 pt, or push a column from underneath to reveal either a blank, a cheese or send a mouse to its mousy doom in a hole.

How long does it take? 30 minutes max even with 4. Which is well within most 6 year olds attention time frame.

Is if fun? A big resounding YES for me. My mija absolutely loves this game and squeals like only a little girl can when she pushes the maze and causes a mouse of me or her mother’s into the trap. She also enjoys planning a clever move that allows her to get two of her mice to the matching spaces just before I do.

In Conclusion: Chateau Roquefort is a clever memory game awith great production value and just a little bit of "wonkage" which could cause hard feeling. It can be chaotic with more than 2 players and can be a bit overwhelming for the younger range of children. My Mija absolutely loves this game and is usually the first or second game requested on family game night. The smiles and squeals of delight while playing this has paid back every cent I paid for this game. The only problem I see with this game as mentioned in the components section is set up is a bit of a pain until you become use to it and if you don’t put it away precisely as the manual suggest the box top just won’t fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sweazey
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan,

Good review! We also just got this for our six-year-old boy, and it is the perfect fit for his attention span and mental acuity. Meanwhile, it is still entertaining for us as adults. I took great pleasure watching Riker develop quite effective strategies and being successful. Toward the end of the game, he began working to develop a coalition (the two of us against mommydevil). I believe this is a natural occurrence in this game for children...after all, the most fun comes from manipulating the board to trap somebody's mouse. However, my son also does not have a strong competitive temperament, so he is as apt to root for somebody else by the end of games as he is to go for the win.

The board is clever and of good quality. I have read complaints that it can be hard to move the pieces. However, I have not seen any such problems. The pieces slide very smoothly. Also, when putting the chits into the holes on top of the mice, I have had no problems with storage or breakdown.

It isn't the cheapest of games, but I think that the feeling of it being expensive is colored by the fact that it is a "children's game". Given the quality of the components, I don't see it being out of line with many of my "adult" designer game prices. I often marvel at what I am willing to drop $70 for when it consists of cards (granted, usually LOTS of them) and a board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gadi Oron
Israel
Rehovot
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review, and I agree with almost everything.

There are 2 bad points about the game:
1) Setup time: takes a lot of time to set-up the game and a lot of effort to put it correctly back into the box.
2) Components: the little mice are beautiful, but the ones I got were made of porcelain and a few broke with their first encounter with the floor.

Otherwise, a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, this is interesting. There are apparently plastic mice, porcelain mice, and (in my copy) wooden mice, nicely painted. Interesting.

Thumbs-up for this game--not only for children, but for adults as well. It's one of the favorites in our church game night group--AMONG THE ADULTS!

I haven't seen another game turn grown-ups into kids as this one does. I think it would be a great light entertainment after dinner for a couples get-together.

And we really have had no problem moving the floor tiles. It's just a matter of keeping the rows lined up at the edges, and if there is a hang-up, it's easily adjusted.

The set-up time is the only sticking point, and that's really not bad--it's a little more of a chore to put away, as the tiles must be put back into their punch-sprues (they're well cut and tapered, so this isn't as awful as it sounds) in order to store them in the box.

This is because the depth of the box is taken up with the "pits" under the castle floors into which hapless mice fall when the dreaded trap doors open under them.

A wonderful game for all ages and for child/adult combined play. Sadly, one of our biggest fans of the game was killed in a traffic accident a couple of years ago. The youngest (eight) member of the game group, who hadn't known him before the group started, was very upset at his loss because she got to know him so well playing "Chateau Roquefort"--she got to see him as a "big (60-year-old) kid" and a friend.

Not every game can help accomplish something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mousey
Netherlands
Santpoort-Zuid
a nice small town near the sea
flag msg tools
ESSEN The Game: SPIEL '13 Featuring Jonah
badge
RWC2015: Can't wait for it to start.
mbmbmbmbmb
Why fuss with putting everything back within the box?
Just put everything ready for the next game and leave the towers up. Just lay the mice down on the roofs and put the lid of the box over the towers. Sure, it's a bit higher but it save a lot of work and does keep everything inside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can find the Cheesy expansion it is well worth it. Adds some nice twists to the game along with improved storage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.