Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kelvin Chung
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What happened to the DoW-era dwarf vs dwarf or goblin vs goblin combat? Or even standard+goblin vs pennant+dwarf? Will we ever get "flag equality" again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we live in FFG times now..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rightly or wrongly, I've taken the pennant-only goblins and standard-only dwarfs direction the game has taken, along with no dedicated racial Call to Arms deployment decks, to indicate that there will be no more race expanding in this game. Please tell me I am wrong...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelvin Chung
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWAlbion wrote:
we live in FFG times now..

That we are. Why else have we not had "2nd edition" DOW-era expansion reprints where the only difference between it and the DOW-era prints is assemble-it-yourself pieces (in the style of Horrific Horde or Bearded Brave), even though most of the pieces in those expansions have been "reproduced"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toddrew wrote:
Rightly or wrongly, I've taken the pennant-only goblins and standard-only dwarfs direction the game has taken, along with no dedicated racial Call to Arms deployment decks, to indicate that there will be no more race expanding in this game. Please tell me I am wrong...

On the other hand - it may be an indication that nations will be introduced, with a clear division between the Dwarves and Goblins based on banner type - it may well be that new banner types are introduced with new armies or a new base set. If FFG were going to follow this route I think a good solution would be to introduce a new Banner type for Humans - and have a full human army in the new base set with additional banners for the Code of Chivalry set.

Later new armies introduced could have different banner types again, as well as additional banners for those humans they have access to (ie: banners representing the different human nations that ally with them - some might be able to field Knights, some lots of archers, some mainy foot soldiers etc).

I doubt whether we'll see this level of planning and implementation from FFG though. It would probably be the case that any new race introduced will just reuse a particular banner type - either standard or pennant.

Using specific banner types for armies should allow FFG to create some real differentiation between nations - even between human armies from one side or the other. But as I said - whether FFG will pursue implementing BL to this degree will remain to be seen.

Cheers,

Giles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So what are we really off in imbalance?

I don't have Code of Chivalry yet but looking at the gallery, they even up everything but Blue Arbalestiers (which are already out of whack).

Standards are short:
1 Blue Infantry (crossed swords) but already has 15
3 Green Halberd but has none whatsoever (except 1 Red Halberd)
2 Blue Cavalry but already has 6
2 Green Cavalry but already has 3

Pennants are short
2 Blue Axers but already has 2
3 Blue Arbalestiers, but already has 4
2 Green Mighty Bolt Throwers but has none whatsoever
1 Red Bear Rider but has none whatsoever

So 8 Unit types are shorted, 5 of which do have the banner in some form already. I would imagine they just give this as a separate blister pack much like the BoW flag upgrade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelvin Chung
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To clarify, if you have one of each set, up to Code of Chivalry, you should have the following:

Balanced:
4 - Green Sword
4 - Red Sword
3 - Red Long Sword
6 - Green Bow
8 - Blue Spear
2 - Red Spear
2 - Green Crossbow
2 - Red Creature
2 - Blue Clan Chiefs
1 - Red Halberd
2 - Green Reflex Bow
2 - Blue Reflex Bow
6 - Red Knight's Lance
1 - Green Bagpipe
1 - Blue Bagpipe
1 - Red Bagpipe
2 - Green Sling
2 - Green Bass Drum
3 - Red Foot Knight
3 - Red Mounted Knight

Standard has more:
11-2 - Blue Arbalest
4-2 - Blue Battle Axe
1-0 - Red Bear Rider
2-0 - Green Bolt Thrower

Pennant has more:
16-15 - Blue Sword
5-3 - Green Long Sword
6-4 - Blue Long Sword
3-0 - Green Halberd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fling
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just make your own flags. I like playing Epic CTA, and thats about all we ever play. With FFG only making enough flags for one side it ruins CTA in organized mode. I want to be able to pick two decks of deployment cards shuffle them together and not have to worry about what units or flags arent available for my side. So, I make my own flags to make up for the cheap ways of FFG. Sure they dont look the good quality as the ones you buy, but they are good enough for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.