Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see anything about this in the rules, but if player A plays, say, a 3-skull green pirate ship against a cargo ship, can player B play a smaller valued card (e.g., 2-skull purple)? There may be times when this might be a chance worth taking, i.e., if player B has the purple pirate and assumes player C will also attach the cargo ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M Shubert
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
If the rules don't say you can't, then sure, you can. It seems like an awfully big risk to me, I doubt it's ever your best move, but if you want to do it then go ahead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can do it. The best time is when 2 players are tied, say with 2's, and then you can get in there with a 1 and still have time to play a 4 or captain when it comes back to you, after they add more to theirs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, such a fast reply - thanks.

I was a little wary of the "if it's not in the rules, do it". It's also not in the rules (at least, my version) that one player can't attack a cargo ship with 2 different colors, but that apparently is the case.

You're right, it's risky. But if the cargo ship is worth a lot, there is a good chance that player 3 will jump into the attack as well.

First time I played - fun game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Smith
msg tools
mbmbmb
This came up today in a game we were playing, except with a slight twist.

I was immersed in a long battle with another player. We had both played a number of cards (3 or 4 pirate ships - totalling 8 or 9), but were currently tied.

Another player asked whether they could join the battle with a pirate ship (say with a value of 1), and then the next turn play a captain.

We were all kind of horrified at the idea that someone could just jump in a steal a battle like that, but the more we thought about it the more we realized that it doesn't seem to be against the rules.

And actually it is kind of ingenious.

Do you agree? Is this allowed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mavis
England
A Fine City
flag msg tools
ON HOLIDAY!!!
mbmbmb
Yes it is allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

elizr wrote:
We were all kind of horrified at the idea that someone could just jump in a steal a battle like that, but the more we thought about it the more we realized that it doesn't seem to be against the rules.

And actually it is kind of ingenious.

Do you agree? Is this allowed?

I think it's not only allowed, but pretty much the whole point behind captains, no?

Arrrr...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T L

California
msg tools
I've found with Loot you have to make a few Sherlock Holmes deductions

In the case of: Can I play a lower value pirate ship card than one that's already on the table?

My deduction (and others have noted): Yes. The rules say, on your turn, you can play any 1 merchant ship or any 1 pirate ship - no constraints on value. Also, in the breaking ties section the rules state this, "But beware: If two pirates are locked in battle over a merchant ship for too long, weaker pirate ships may join the battle and eventually take the ship for themselves!"

In the case of: Can I attack a merchant ship with two different color pirate ships?

My deduction: House rule! My friends and I (especially in a two player game) have played agreeing that yes, you can launch a new attack as long as the second pirate ship color you are using hasn't already been played. This second pirate ship color is considered a new fleet, and not strengthening your previous attack. As the rules state, if you are strengthening your attack, "You may increase your strength during later turns either by adding more pirate ships of the same color or by playing the pirate captain of the same color ship you originally played."

I have also played with agreeing that no, you cannot launch a new attack. When you play a pirate ship card, it is always to strengthen your current fleet.

I'm sure you can ask Gamewright, I hear they do respond to questions. But I find it's just fun to work it out with my fellow players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.