Subject: TofI, DotF expansion, Walley of Death scenario. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Italian Seismologist
United Kingdom
norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
[The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was not convincing people he didn't exist, but convincing them that he was God.
mbmbmbmbmb
16th January 2011 game. Same four players as the last game played and in the same teams (on different sides). setup took well over an hour again, as we needed to go over the rules quickly as its been a while sincesome of us last played.

The Scenario was chosen as it was of a similar theme to the last game we played together, but this time it was the germans trying to hold out. also, with three of the group not having played the expansion before, we didnt want to put to many new elements into the game.

The setup itself (placing on the board) went without too many problems other than german division 1 desperatly trying somewhere to place squads as although its the same size as other tiles, he found this really hard. the main problem was that the AT gun, being hard(ish) to move, could either be in a place where it could shoot, and be shot at, or hide and probably be shot at. In the end it was placed wher it could shoot.

The Americans and British then set up, and straight away decided to place all their units the same side of the board as the german division one units. Straight away we knew that this was the obvious thing to do, and discussed after the game that this should always be done. Straight away division 1 knew they were in for a pounding. the ATgun and machine gun crews were put into opfire from the off.

Now cam the first problem for the germans. with the allies getting to setup second, but go first, division one didnt stand a chance. the british went first, and heavily destroyed the AT gun straight away, and routed the squad that was in the same square using mortars. Another lucky shot heavily injured one of the elite infantry squads.

Division one for the germans went next and immediatly tried to get into better cover positions. Unfortunatly they didnt manage to do ANY damage to any allied squads during thier turn, although this was to become a trend. The second american unit destroyed a large chunk of division one. i think at the end of the first round division one had two units left, although the allies couldve been said to roll lucky dice.

Being so far from the action German division 2 (my division) had trouble getting decent shots off. Trying to assist division one went badly over the next few rounds lost me two squads despite building cover. my tank whilst fast was not fast enough to get into close combat with anything, and so placed itself in a position where the allies couldnt get into close combat with it on the next turn. unfortunatly it could only shoot at the allied halftrack though, and did no damage at all with a bad roll.

This is pretty much how the game went. by the end of the second round, the americans had completly destroyed division one and the german tank had been utterly destroyed only managing to lightly damage the amercan sherman. division two had managed to destroy two amercan squads though, including both officers and two flamers. the british, more careful in thier approach had lost only a single man, and quickly overran division twos starting position during the third round. the game was finished.

Whilst the americans, particularly on thier second turn, couldve been said to roll lucky, we all agreed that there was no way the germans could win this scenario. lasting another round wouldve been a miracle. If the AT gun had managed to get a shot off at all things may have been better ballenced, but we dont see any good fortune for the AT. In fact, it is hard to see where to place the AT gun at all, every hex in the deployment zone would attract instant attacks.

The main issue here is that the allies place second and go first. This setup allows very simple and destructive plans for the allies, and statistically the AT gun should be destroyed first allied turn, failing that the allies mortars should at least disrupt the units in the same hex. also, allowing the allies to set up entirely on one side of the board allows them to rush and destroy one german division quickly. whilst this is good tactics, its a little boring for the german division one player.

the only fix we discussed for these problems are
1) the allies CHOOSE who sets up first AND goes first.
2) allies have to place some (not sure how you would measure this) units on both sides of the board.

any other fixes are appreciated. roll on our next game, where i get to play the allies again (i only every seem to play germans recently)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian V.
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience with the scenario is similar to yours. I'm not sure if maybe the both of us misunderstand the rules considering the AT, but I have to wonder why this crucial piece is so terribly vulnerable. One can easily either destroy the AT very quickly, or pin the unit required for activation (division 1 doesn't even get an officer). On the other hand, putting the AT somewhere out of LoS will only result in having the allied tanks make concentrated attacks on the pillboxed infantry from a safe distance).

I thnink the majour problem in general is that the only cover you can get for both the AT and the activation unit has to come from the area type (according to rulebook p.5, it's not allowed to activate the AT from inside a fortification).
A scenario specific problem is that the German AT cannot benefit at all from its tactical advantage of a longer normal range in comparison to the allied tanks - there simply isn't enough open space.

My ideas for a fix are:
- Allies have to set up first, plus
- ignore the rule on page 5 (in other words: AT and activation unit both fit into one entrenchment)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bill jaffe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Well i haven't played this scenario yet but boy it looks like an incredibly difficult puzzle for the Germans.Just from First glance another solution is make the Allies set up First since they are going first. and maybe give the Germans the option to also set up on 15B

skinsfan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question with this one. where under actions per turn, 3 actions per side. dose this mean the sides are Allies and germans or British, Americans, Germans? How where you playing it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italian Seismologist
United Kingdom
norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
[The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was not convincing people he didn't exist, but convincing them that he was God.
mbmbmbmbmb
british, div 1 german, american, div2 german.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Beck
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this scenario today and found it quite well balanced. The only house rule we made was that the British and American forces were split into two teams of three (using the differently shaded bases) and then each force had to be placed in different setup zones (one vehicle with each group). This nicely divided up the allies and made for a much better game.

The German AT gun was placed on op fire mode with the German mortar squad on the hex between the dunes and the hill (i.e. on the road). This makes it much harder for the allies to hit it without first moving and exposing at least one tank to the op fire. The mortars, of course, were still able to fire afterwards.

In the end the Germans (played by me) still lost but it was very close and was only decided on the last action of the 6th turn. That annoying matilda limped up the hill and captured the final objective... curses!

Great scenario!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.