Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mike hutton
United States
moline
illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the spear (where you get an automatic range hit before a combat roll) only able to be used before a ranged combat roll or any combat roll?

If so, does it replace that phase of combat of does the monster get to finish their roll after the item goes off?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are only allowed to use the Spear of Trelton before your Hero rolls dice for an attack in the Ranged phase. If you decide to discard the Spear of Trelton, your attack automatically succeds and the opponent (i.e. challenge) takes the number of wounds equal to your Hero's ranged damage value. You don't have to roll dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hutton
United States
moline
illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vorakesh wrote:
You are only allowed to use the Spear of Trelton before your Hero rolls dice for an attack in the Ranged phase. If you decide to discard the Spear of Trelton, your attack automatically succeds and the opponent (i.e. challenge) takes the number of wounds equal to your Hero's ranged damage value. You don't have to roll dice.

are you sure? it reads "A combat roll" not a ranged combat roll....this leads me to believe that being as such it is a "legendary item" that it can be used before the monster makes a magic attack....also, after using it wouldnt you be able to tap cards to increase damage?

is there any official ruling/FAQ for this.....because of how it is written it doesnt distinguish between which combat roll.

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm, I understand the problem. I would like to hear other players about it, so here is the item-text:

"Spear of Trelton:

Discard before your Hero makes a combat roll
to automatically succeed at a Ranged attack."

It seems as you say, that you can discard the Spear of Trelton before one of this phases: ranged, melee or magic. This would only affect the ranged phase. You still have to roll the dice during melee and magic phase.

If you discard the Spear of Trelton before your ranged combat roll, then you don't have to roll any dice and your Hero made a successful ranged attack. Then your Hero isn't allowed to attack during this combat round.

It seems, that if you decide to attack with your Hero during a melee or magic phase, you still can discard the Spear of Trelton, but this will affect the ranged phase in the next combat round. Very strange, but the item text has no restriction about which combat round is affected.
mhutton wrote:

also, after using it wouldnt you be able to tap cards to increase damage?

What do you mean?
mhutton wrote:

is there any official ruling/FAQ for this.....because of how it is written it doesnt distinguish between which combat roll.

I searched in the latest FAQ, but there isn't nothing about it. I even don't wonder any more. I like the system of Runebound, but the Island of Dread rules are so insufficient. I have also Frozen Wastes, Crown of the Elder Kings and the Cataclysm. Playing each of them, I had questions, which no rulebook or FAQ mentioned. It's a pity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LSD
United States
Bay City
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a limit as to how many Legendary items one hero may posses? Is it affected by the number of regular items or are they independent?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
Palisades Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No limit, they are independent. However, in a real game, other people taking maps or legendaries would have a very limiting effect, so you might house rule something if you play solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.