7 Posts

Formula D» Forums » General

Subject: Why are there no new cars rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Burgo
msg tools
mb
Its very obvious that Formula D is a very popular game. Its also obvious that many owners of this game are looking for newer cars. So I can't understand why newer, and better looking cars are not available for this game. I believe most of us are willing to purchase newer cars, if they were available. Anyone know why this hasn't happened?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Jensen
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess: To make a pack of say, 10 painted Le Mans cars, and to distribute them in this niche market with margins for Asmodee and the middle men would need to price it around $9.95-$13.95 -- like a single booster of Heroscape. I don't think that has any sales viability. But if they could add them in with a map expansion, that would work, but obviously at a higher price point.

EDIT: What could work were to have some famous drivers/teams with unique cars and custom "power cards" like you get with the street racers part of Formula D, but with more of a historical racing theme. I'd imagine it would be hard to put out such a set for less that $15-18 MSRP but would be more marketable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Owen
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only miniatures available today are the ones listed below. I am not connected to their sellers. This post is not intended as an advertisement.

Unfortunately, the Formula One style from Khalsa Brain Games is no longer available.

Eurogames sold official Formula De pewter miniatures 10 years ago. Cafe Games also sold two sets of Formula One miniatures last decade, one with 1960s cars and one with 1970s cars. These sets are now out of print and are rare. When sets appear on eBay, the final bids are often 100.00 USD per set. You may have better success finding these if you look not only on eBay U.S. but also on European and Australian eBay sites.

The 6mm sets below have designs that are more appropriate for Car Wars than Formula De, but they might look good on a Formula D track when painted.

I cannot offer an explanation why new miniatures have not been made available.

One option, although it involves a lot of effort, is to build your own Formula D tracks to 1.5X or 3X Formula D scale.

Formula D 1X scale is also 1X scale of the automotive combat boardgame Car Wars. I have presented below the scales and dimensions of three Car Wars scales that can also be used with Formula D.

I am aware Formula D miniatures are slightly smaller than 1X Car Wars scale, but following Car Wars dimensions makes upscaling easier.

The main advantage of making tracks in 3X scale is the variety of Formula One and street racing miniatures is nearly infinite: Hot Wheels, Matchbox and other 1:64 cars are in 3X Formula D scale. The two main disadvantages of using 3X Scale are you will need to make your own tracks, and you will need very large tables for your tracks.

1X: Original Car Wars Playing Materials
Cars: 1" x 0.5"
Motorcycles: 0.5" x 0.5"

1.5X: Micro Machines
Cars: 1.5" x 0.75"
Motorcycles: 0.75" x 0.75"

3X: Car Wars Fifth Edition, 1:64 Die Cast Cars
Cars: 3" x 1.5"
Motorcycles: 1.5" x 1.5"

eBay Stores - Gold Coast Models - Formula De Playing Pieces

Khalsa Brain Games - FormulaRacers

Irregular Miniatures - 6mm Boats and Cars

Eureka Miniatures - 6mm Modern and Post-Holocaust Cars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Burgo
msg tools
mb
Thanks for the responses and the info. I like the idea of historical type power cards. It would greatly improve this game, which is already a darn good game. I still believe this game is popular enough, that expansion, other than tracks would be a good thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fast eddie
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
They are, check the link below! They currently have some Lemans cars out but are talking about more if they get enough interest & a supplier willing to make the run. http://www.goldcoastrailway.com/ordering.html
Click on the "Formula De cars" in the left tool bar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Williams
United Kingdom
Leytonstone
London
flag msg tools
mb
My Formula De-signs

http://www.shapeways.com/search/tag?tag=formula+de

I'm happy to create models to order, but it's a time consuming process!

-- Giles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ivan raivan
Spain
flag msg tools
Hi:

This is the thread where show the mini cars i´m making suitable for formula D

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/788202/my-formula-d-pewter-c...

contact me if you are interested in them

regards

ivan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.