Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Variants

Subject: Homebrew - Chameleon (Now you see me, now you don't.) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris O
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[_] CHAMELEON Hides Components [_]

You have the power of Camouflage. Whenever your hand or ships are targeted by the power or card of another player, you may use this power cancel those targeted effects and hide both your hand and ships from all other players for the remainder of the encounter, treating them as out of the game. Doing so prevents you from being involved in the remainder of the encounter in any way. If you were a main player, all involved players return any ships to their colonies and this encounter is a loss for you.

As a main player, if not defending a planet in which only you have a colony, after cards are played but not revealed you may use this power to hide your hand and your ships from all other players for the remainder of this encounter. Any allies with you continue the encounter with your played encounter card. If you were the offense, your ships return to your colonies and this encounter is a loss for you, though your allies can still win and gain a colony. If you were the defense you gain nothing and your opponent cohabits the planet with any of your defending ships if he or she won, your allies will still gain defender rewards if they win. If you were the defense and had no allies, and other players cohabit the attacked planet with you, designate one to become the defense using your played encounter card.

A race of dragon-like amphibians, the Chameleons have made hiding into an art of war. Using their natural color-blending technique as a tactical offensive and defensive instrument, one never quite knows if these incognito creatures will abandon them when needed the most.

As Any Player Optional
Start Turn Regroup Destiny Launch Alliance Planning Reveal Resolution

Wild: Whenever you are the defense and lose the encounter, you may keep one ship on the planet, and your opponent cohabits the planet with you.
Defense Only Resolution

Super: When using your power your planets are now also hidden, all ships on them of any players are also hidden and cannot be targeted or moved. Any offensive player targeting your planets must redraw a destiny card.
Main Player Only Destiny

I am not entirely great with wording this, so I am hoping to get some input from Bill and other people who are better at this, as I am mainly an ideas guy.

I was looking over my powers in the Warp noticing how many of them need work, and noticed that the Incognito has a good idea behind it but needs work. So this is the result.

The basic gist of the power is 2 main uses. The first main use is something I noticed the CEO Ghost had that I thought should be brought into FFG which is basically the ability to cloak your stuff, only on a much lesser scale and with a penalty. This is used only when you are about to be Plagued or Hand Zapped etc. or even effected by powers such as Mind, Trader, or Shadow, etc.. This basically makes your ships and cards "hands-off", but at the cost of you effectively being out of the game for the rest of the turn.

The second use and the one that is far more frequent is as a combat power in order to manipulate other players. Has many uses on offense, such as trashing a bad card and not losing your ships, or screwing over allies intentionally with a negotiate as you pull out. Also on defense it can be used to screw over your allies, or avoid the encounter altogether if someone is cohabiting the planet with you then they are at the mercy of whatever you played, allowing you to knock someone off a cohabited planet.

Regardless of WHEN you use this power the penalty of being out of the game for the rest of the turn remains the same, meaning you have to actually plan out whether using your power helps or harms you.

Any comments or way to better reword this are appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me, sin? Pf! Nah! Chill
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Should I stop doing the whole anagram thing?
badge
Congratulations! You found the hidden message! Geekmail your answer to me for your prize.
mbmbmbmbmb
Messianic wrote:
If you were the defense and had no allies, other players cohabit the attacked planet with you, he becomes the defense using your played encounter card.

I don't understand what this sentence means. Who does "he" refer to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris O
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a sloppily wording sentence on my part.

What I mean to say is that is if you don;t have allies on defense, but there is another player on the planet with you, you can designate them as the defense against their will. If their are multiples you choose just one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris O
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Edited this power's wording a bit for clarity and whatnot.

I think it has promise as a nice cowardly alien. What do people think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.