Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I put together some rules and material as a variant for Regatta (3M) and Regatta (Gigamic). Both games have beautiful boats (the Gigamic boats are prettier but also bigger but also require much table or floor space), and I feel that the rules that come with those games do not match the quality of the material (BTW, advanced rules for the Gigamic version are in the works, I read a preview). I put everything on my own website http://flyhi.de/games/dinghyrace.html for all who are interested. I would like to read what you think about it.

Ahoy! Lutz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Groth
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a fine piece of work, very similar to something I had casually thought of trying to put together someday, but you actually put the details together to make it real! Thank you!

I do have a few comments, if you don't mind.
1a) In the introduction of terms for port and starboard you refer to the "Port Tack" or "Port Bow" as being when the wind comes from the right side and the boat heels toward the left. It should be the opposite of this. Port Tack is when the wind is coming in from the port side, so the boat heels toward starboard.

1b) I note that in the later section on right of way, you give the boat on Port Bow preference over the boat on Starboard Bow. Standard right of way rules give the boat on Starboard Tack preference. But since the names have been reversed, as mentioned in 1a, the result is exactly the same: The boat with the wind coming over the right side and heeling toward the left has preference for right of way.

2) In my experience, "Port Tack" and "Starboard Tack" are the preferred terms, rather than "Port Bow" and "Starboard Bow"

3) It might be a little less confusing if the colors of the spinnaker symbol didn't include either red or green. While the symbol is clear enough when I think about it, the use of red in the center of the spinnaker catches the eye, and my subconscious associates it with the red sail of a boat heeling to port.

4) A couple small spelling fixes:
a) The host of the race is the "Race Steward" not "Stewart" (mentioned near the end of the right of way section)
b) In the boxed example on movement, item 4. "...fall of still further" should be "fall off still further". You have it right elsewhere, just a typing error.

Please take my criticism the right way: You've put together a great set of rules!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Ted,
thanks for reading the rules, for the nice comment, and for pointing out my errors.
You are right, in the point of sail rules I made an unfortunate decision: I used the usual German term "Backbordbug" which I translated, literally, to "port bow", only that no British or US sailor knows that term in the point of sail context. And it means "starboard tack", so we got opposite nomenclatures here, and I made a thorough mess of it. I'll try to get that right by tomorrow, sorry about this confusion. I would like to keep the boat symbols as they are, however, I cannot imagine a boat with a sail pointing to the left but coloured green. Actually, in my assumed context the right of way rules are correct, but nobody could guess that.
I'll also think about the spinnaker colours, that should not be a big problem to change, but has second priority.
blushLutz

Edit: I will also add a Design History page linked to the rules page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Groth
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PunTheHun wrote:
I would like to keep the boat symbols as they are, however, I cannot imagine a boat with a sail pointing to the left but coloured green. Actually, in my assumed context the right of way rules are correct, but nobody could guess that.

Yes, I could tell that the actual right of way rules ended up the same, but the way of describing it just didn't match what is standard in US and England, I thought it worth pointing out since the rules were in English.

I agree, please don't change the sail colors. Even when using the more familiar term "starboard tack" I've usually seen illustration in red indicating the boat with the sails over the port side. That matches the real appearance at dusk, because on starboard tack the boat heels over to port, and so the red navigation light illuminates the head sails with a reddish hue, and of course the head sails are illuminated green when on port tack.
arrrh

As for spinnaker colors, Why not Blue with a White or Yellow center? Simple, only one or two colors to print, no conflicting colors, and I've seen more than a few spinnakers with that color scheme. But do what you like there, certainly less important.

Looking forward to trying this out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Now a Major General
United States
38.978164N 76.486881W
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

I'm thinking a Mount Gay Rum logo on the spinnaker. This game needs corporate sponsorship.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Ted & Sagrilarus,
I changed the rules, I hope (and think) I got it right this time. I will change spi colours for the next PDF creation, I think of light yellow with a purple star whistle White may not have enough contrast to other colours.

Edit: For corporate sponsorship I could add a magenta-coloured T... I work at Deutsche Telekom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Carter
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
Lutz,

Great job on these rules. I played a solo match race (2 boats) and came up with a few thoughts and questions.

1) Does turn order only ever change as a result of a "right of way" dispute? This may be a good thing actually as it is one way for a boat to come from behind.

2) Any ideas for handling wind shadow? It's a huge part of racing but hard to incorporate smoothly in a game.

Here were some observations.

1) I thought it might be useful to have small "Heading Markers" to show a boat's current course relative to the wind. One set in each boat color marked 15,30,45,60,75 and 90 degrees. For headings beyond 90 degrees just use the 90 and a second marker. The markers would be placed out of the way on the course near a boat so everyone could see at a glance how far the boat is off the wind.

2) Put light ghost lines on the maneuver cards passing through the card center line every 15 degrees. This visual aid would make proper alignment of the cards easier.

3) It seems the most efficient way to round a downwind mark is by voluntary use of a delay card. This lets you stop your boat on a dime and rotate it through 45 degrees. A proposed solution is to have the running cards be symmetrical and even include course changes up to 90 either side. This would allow you to turn more into the wind while running or reaching. You could then drop two cards from each players set as they would be good for either tack.

Thanks for any feedback. This is a great system and worth continued development.

Brent

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.