Subject: Entering the castle.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean Adam
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm always a little embarassed to need to ask for rule clarifications on what is meant to be a game for kids, but unfortunately sometimes we need it, for peace of mind if nothing else

There aren't any arguments at the start (well there aren't any arguments later either, being the only one that has read the rules so can just say 'no that's not allowed' ) Anyway, at the start we just go around in turn order and put a mouse in a tower - usually the one in front of us, but sometimes somone gets cheeky and goes for one in front of someone else.

Where its seemed unclear when entering the castle after this point.

We've been treating the castle towers as a tile space. So moving into a tower costs 1 move (from outside the castle, I'm ignoring the pantry expansion for now). Reading the rules again last night suggests this isn't necessarily so...?

We're comfortable running over mice in a tower, just like any other tile space, but have so far ruled that you can't stop and lift a roof. So if a mouse is in a tower, and there are no adjacent rooms with the roof off, there isnt anywhere to go. So the tower is effectively blocked.

I guess I just wanted to ask how other people are treating the rules around castle entry.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each player puts one of their mice in a tower before the game starts.

Yes, if there is a mouse in the tower, and no open rooms beside it, another mouse cannot enter that corner. (This kind of blocking can sometimes happen inside the castle too).

If there are open rooms beside a tower, another mouse can move into the castle through that tower even if it is occupied. This takes 2 actions.

It takes an action to put a mouse into a tower from outside the castle.

It takes an action to move from a tower into the castle. There needs to be an opened room to move into.

You can't move back from the castle into a tower.

I bought this for my kids, but I think they find action points a bit tricky to understand. Also, it's a pain to put away, I just keep all the loose bits including the towers in a separate plastic bag. But it's a nice little game for adults!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Adam
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
I bought this for my kids, but I think they find action points a bit tricky to understand. Also, it's a pain to put away, I just keep all the loose bits including the towers in a separate plastic bag. But it's a nice little game for adults!

Thanks Simon - seems we've been playing it the same then
I got the Cheesy Gonzola expansion almost entirely for its ummm mouse holding properties, adds another box, but improves packing up and transportability heaps. Have only recently started playing with the expansion rules other than the extra tower/person but do find they add some fun variability/strategy. Did need extensive use of google translate to be able to import it in from Germany though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Also, it's a pain to put away, I just keep all the loose bits including the towers in a separate plastic bag. But it's a nice little game for adults!

I do this as well, but I was bummed to discover last weekend that 3 of the "ceramic" mouse noses had broken off (perhaps should keep them packed in styrofoam?). I contacted Rio Grande about ordering replacements but have not yet heard back from them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my mice lost a nose early on too. I threw it away, I should've glued it back on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.