flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Erik, Donald, and Scott discuss simulation vs. realism

Erik Takes 5 on games that are good for preschoolers
Don suffers from Abstraction Distraction
Erik reviews London

http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/obg-057-it-s-just-a-simulatio...

RSS Feed: http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/rss
Email us: onboardgames.net@gmail.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you play abstract game? Why or why not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Bellemare
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
AAAAAAAAAARRRRGGG!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I don't play abstract games.

I am not sure why, I think it's because they are so dry.

I love to play a nice game, full of arts and themes. Like Stone Age or Agricola. I also like a lot of Euro that have thin pasted-on themes, but even if the are abstracts in disguise, I need the disguise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Esko
Sweden
Piteå
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like some abstract games. Go happens to be my favorite game. I also have designed an abstract game that I really like. Theme is not important to me, it can add to a game but I don't need it to like a game. What I like about Go is the lack of luck, the rules are very simple yet is has a lot of depth and finally because it never feels repetitive. There's no setup time, it's not fiddly and there's little deadtime. This is actually a game where the more your opponent thinks the better it feels

I need to listen to the roundtable again to comment on the subject, it's been such a long time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Takezo Qc wrote:
No, I don't play abstract games.

I am not sure why, I think it's because they are so dry.

I love to play a nice game, full of arts and themes. Like Stone Age or Agricola. I also like a lot of Euro that have thin pasted-on themes, but even if the are abstracts in disguise, I need the disguise.

While I like themes, I have found the more richly themed a game is the more it relies on rules knowledge (or luck) to win instead of actual skill. Sure abstract dice or card games also rely on luck a great deal, but I feel those are a different classification of game.

That being said Fresco was one of my favorite games last year, and I still like themed games. I'm just tired of designers hiding behind theme for crappy game design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Awakening wrote:
Go happens to be my favorite game.

Strangely I had an adverse reaction to Go when I first played it. Strange because Pente was one of my favorites when I played Go the first time.

Why didn't I like it? Probably because I couldn't wrap my brain around how not to suck at it. I think I need to pick it back up and learn how to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Esko
Sweden
Piteå
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald:
Try reading a beginners book on Go. There are a handful. I would not recommend the one I own unless you are interested in the history of Go, it's not a very good beginners book. There are a lot of Go resources online, among other things you can find interactive Go problems and there's even an interactive tutorial. I had links to that stuff on my old laptop that died. I think I started looking up Go on Wikipedia.

Since you have an Xbox 360 you should download Path of Go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Awakening wrote:
Donald:
Try reading a beginners book on Go. There are a handful. I would not recommend the one I own unless you are interested in the history of Go, it's not a very good beginners book. There are a lot of Go resources online, among other things you can find interactive Go problems and there's even an interactive tutorial. I had links to that stuff on my old laptop that died. I think I started looking up Go on Wikipedia.

Since you have an Xbox 360 you should download Path of Go.

Thanks, that sounds like it is going to be a good start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Esko
Sweden
Piteå
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just listened to the roundtable again, and I just wanted to add that I prefer games with less rules and smooth streamlined mechanisms. For me the gameflow is very important, I want nonstop fun with a game. I want all exceptions to be "ingame" as much as possible and not in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Awakening wrote:
I've just listened to the roundtable again, and I just wanted to add that I prefer games with less rules and smooth streamlined mechanisms. For me the gameflow is very important, I want nonstop fun with a game. I want all exceptions to be "ingame" as much as possible and not in the rules.

Oh, that's a good point. Where the exceptions occur - in rules, on cards, or on the game board - really makes a difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiffani Harris
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
So, I just wrote a review about the latest podcast on iTunes, but I'm not totally sure that it was submitted properly so I wanted to repost it here just in case

I love the show! I just listened to the latest podcast and was so excited to know I am still within the time limit for the contest!

I've checked out your app Erik and it looks awesome!! I especially think so b/c I recently started roleplaying with my fiancé and well, I'm still trying to get the hang of it-- and I'm someone who likes to have all the different fields on the character sheet filled, not to mention a great backstory for the character! However, I'm not super creative and thus, this app is totally helpful!!

Anyway, great app, great podcast-- also wanted to say, thanks Erik for doing a review of great games for preschoolers! My fiancé has two kids that age and I've been looking for some possible games to get them started in the board gaming world, an those suggestions were awesome!

Not trying to butter you up! lol But just had to give praise for all those great things. The only suggestion I would make... I've been listening to your podcast a lot at work, I'm an artist  / graphic designer so it's not hard to do-- but occasionally I do get distracted and miss the first part of a review segment, i.e. the part where you mention the title of the game. Then as i catch back up I start hearing about all the facets of this amazing game, that I totally want to buy now, but I have to rewind to hear the title :-/ Do you think you guys could try mentioning the title of the game again at the end of the review? Like when you give it the red, yellow, or green light? Something like, "so I give Agricola a green light." That would be awesome you guys are great! Keep up the amazing work! Board games rule! --Tiffani
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
FireflyKaylee wrote:
Do you think you guys could try mentioning the title of the game again at the end of the review? Like when you give it the red, yellow, or green light? Something like, "so I give Agricola a green light." That would be awesome you guys are great! Keep up the amazing work! Board games rule! --Tiffani

That's a great suggest Tiffani. I try to drop the name fairly frequently over the course of my reviews so people can know what game I'm talking about when I'm actually reviewing. Adding as part of the final rating would be a useful thing as well.

And thanks for the wonderful review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.