Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am having some trouble with the Frogs string rule. I am sure once I understand it I will say something like "Doh!"

Until then...

Using my own words, I see the rule as:

No single line of three or more frogs may exist if at least one of the frogs does not touch a minimum of three other tiles.

Am I interpreting this correctly, and if not can anyone explain to me what the string rule means in "layman's terms".

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
volnon wrote:
Using my own words, I see the rule as:

No single line of three or more frogs may exist if at least one of the frogs does not touch a minimum of three other tiles.

Am I interpreting this correctly

No: consider a ring of 6 frogs (around an empty center hole). That does not conform to your condition (every frog touches exactly 2 other frogs, none touches 3), yet it is a legitimate configuration.

EDIT: Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant by "line"; if you don't mean to include rings, then perhaps you're closer than I thought to understanding.

Quote:
if not can anyone explain to me what the string rule means in "layman's terms".

I explained it in my review as:

russ wrote:
If there are 4 frogs A, B, C, D such that A only touches B, B only touches A and C, C only touches B and D, then that is called a "string" and is not permitted.)

I.e. something like the following is illegal:

A-B-C-D-otherfrogs

Or putting it REALLY simply/informally: you can't have a "long tail" with 4 frogs in the tail.

Does that help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

Or putting it REALLY simply/informally: you can't have a "long tail" with 4 frogs in the tail.

Does that help?

That does, yes. A frog cannot have a "tail" of 4 frogs.

By the way, I did not even consider an enclosed circle as "a line", although it is one. My example was such that it was a line of frogs NOT CONNECTED. I should have thought of that...

...being as I didn't, is my definition correct as I described it (excluding the circle), Russ?

Thanks for your input. I really want to fully understand this game - it looks great, and I LOVE those pieces!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
volnon wrote:
is my definition correct as I described it (excluding the circle), Russ?[/u]

I'm not sure I fully understand your definition still. E.g. it seems to me that your definition would imply that simply 3 frogs in a row ABC is illegal, but in fact ABC is legal.

If the "no tail can have 4 frogs" definition works, just go with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good.

I will begin filling the pond.

Thanks again for your input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Łazarecki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys, stop counting frogs and start counting connections (spaces between frogs).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.