Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Johnson
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
That's a Palm Pilot on the left, and a pink iPod mini on the right. Yes, I've been doing BGTG that long!
badge
http://www.WargamesToGo.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I've taken my occasional weblog, Boardgames To Go, and started making a podcast of the same name. This isn't an organized interview show like Geek Speak, it's more like an audio weblog, some session reporting, and other opinions. Check it out--all feedback is appreciated.

http://BoardgamesToGo.blogspot.com

-Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Ahhh... one of my most vocal critics gets his own bit. Christmas has come early! arrrharrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
That's a Palm Pilot on the left, and a pink iPod mini on the right. Yes, I've been doing BGTG that long!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bring it on, Tichu-boy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmb
Excellent Podcast Mark. I liked the in-depth analysis of El Grande that you provided and I liked your storytelling of what happens in your game group. Looking forward to your future episodes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Aldie. Obviously you (and my good buddy Derk!) were the inspiration. I hadn't even heard the term podcast until your Geek Speaks, but since then I've become a big fan of the new format, new technology. We just need more content on those "airwaves."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Ok, I've listened to them.

Now before I give you what I think, lemme preface my statements. I don't particularly like podcasts. I've listened very sporatically to other podcasts, 'cuz I find them, well... boring. One of the big reasons we've got the format we have with GeekSpeak is because it's something I personally find very engaging. Without any sort of interaction between people, without different opinions, I get really bored really quickly.

You can see where I'm goin' already, I'm sure. There's nothing wrong with your style per se but it does seem to drone on for me. There's almost nothing to differentiate one game's section to another. I wonder if perhaps if you just recorded mini bits on games (like an all El Grande show) it would suit me better...?

On a more humorous note, a little schtick goes a long way.. and research more... and ask better follow-up questions... and shutup once in a while... oh wait. Nevermind. Projecting again! arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmb
Whoops... there are 3 more? I guess I need to scroll down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Cameron
Canada
Unspecified
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually stumbled on this independently today and gave it a listen. I've been hoping someone else would start a boardgame podcast, and you've done a very nice job. Like all new podcasts, it has a few kinks to work out, but I'd say it's definitely a promising start.

I think your decision to move away from audio session reports to general opinion pieces was a good idea though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, that includes Derk. I don't know if I'll make the mods he's talking about, but it's got me thinking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(Mr.) Kim Beattie
United States
Rocklin
CA
flag msg tools
Embrace your inner geek!
badge
In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.
mbmbmbmbmb
So Geekspeak is an "Interview" show because that's what Derk likes to hear? That's great and so is Geekspeak, but we've already got one of those... I don't think Mark drones and I don't find Boardgames To-Go to be boring.

Let the show find itself before you start changing the content. I like the blog aspect of Boardgames To-Go, and I'd hate to see (hear?) that changed. I enjoy hearing Mark talk about games. I like to hear his opinons of the various games he plays and like to see how those opinons compare to my opinons of those same games. For the games, I haven't yet played, it's always good to hear another opinon on how the the game is.

Keep up the good work Mark!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilzbach
United States
Valencia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark, I really enjoyed your podcast. This is actually the first podcast that I have tuned into so I did not know what to expect. You have a very natural delivery and your personality really comes through. I enjoy that personal touch alot. I think the 30 minute segment rule is probably a good one though. Looking forward to your next installment!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.