Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Van Willis
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule book states (p.3) "On the first turn, each player must build on or beside the Cornerstone with a selected game piece, which must touch at least one cube face-to-face and maintain the checkerboard pattern."

Does the "must touch at least one cube face-to-face" refer to one cube of the cornerstone or just that all pieces have to be touching another piece? I ask because the examples on pages 3 and 4 show pieces that are not touching the cornerstone but are touching other player's pieces that are touching the cornerstone.

What is the intent of the rules? I think either way works fine but was wondering if I am misunderstanding something.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Saya
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played Cornerstone Essential for the first time the other night and also had a first turn question, but not the same one as yours. Regarding your question, we interpreted the rules to mean that all three players' starting pieces had to be in direct contact with the foundation piece. But looking more carefully at the illustration on p. 3 you're right: the black 2 is touching the red 6, not the foundation.

Our question concerned the next rule:

"During the first round only, players may each place one block per color on the table . . ."

Does this really mean that your starting piece can only touch the table with a maximum of two blocks, the neutral color and your color? If so, then for instance a 3- or 4-block piece can only stand vertically, not be laid flat on the table next to the foundation. Anyway, that's the way we played it, and the illustration, coincidentally or not, backs up this interpretation.

Using both of the above restrictions, our game turned out to be fun and satisfying: we ended up with a tall, narrow, and extremely rickety tower that nevertheless managed to stand to the very end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Van Willis
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
msaya wrote:
"During the first round only, players may each place one block per color on the table . . ."

Does this really mean that your starting piece can only touch the table with a maximum of two blocks, the neutral color and your color?

I'm pretty sure that the rules are consistent in using the term "block" to mean piece (i.e. your supply starts with 12 blocks) and not "cube" the term for the individual components of each block (a 4 block consists of 2 neutral cubes and 2 colored cubes).

Hopefully Matt (or someone in the know) can clarify these things for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anson Bischoff
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@ Mark: The rules only say "1 block per color" to clarify for the 2 player rules. Any part of your block is allowed to touch the table. You could even lay a 6 on it's side. The !MAS IMPORTANTE! part of this rule is that only your first block you lay can touch the table (or 1 block of each color in 2 player) everything else must be built up.

This rule has nothing to do with the fact that the blocks are checkered and are "essential-ly" 2 colors. It is referring to player color.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting question. Either it was not in the first edition which I have or I never noticed it. We have almost never had it come up though. I like that in the late stage of the game a player can't cop out and simply lay a piece on the table touching the tower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.