Subject: So is playing a keeper any fun? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bas Rade
Netherlands
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just wondering before I splash out on this, as I expect to be playing keeper whenever this gets taken out of the cupboard. Is playing a keeper as satisfying as playing an investigator?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David West
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
My friend, playing the Keeper is a truly fulfilling experience if you don't mind being a horrible, horrible person/metaphysical entity for an hour or so. Taunting the investigators as they move around the house, desperate for a clue, implying there may be something cosmic and terrible behind the next door, tossing out monsters or traumas at the worst times... it's glorious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon D
United Kingdom
Deptford
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a lot of fun as the keeper in my 3 games so far. In fact I think it may be more fun that being an investigator sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yost
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed - I felt like I had more decisions to make and more tactical choices as a keeper.
If you're into theme and atmosphere, I find that the game is better if the keeper verbally embellishes some of the things that are happening in the game based on his hidden knowledge of the plots. If it matters to you whether the investigators can figure out your plots, don't do this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Conser
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree playing the keeper is a ton of fun. I have never had this much fun being sooo evil before. It feels a lot more competitive (as it should) than playing a DM in something like DnD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It´s probably just a matter of tastes, but both experiences are rewarding in different ways :

- Playing Investigators gives you some cool abilities and cards to toy around with, the great feeling of exploring the unknown and discovering clues that tell you the story (deduction process is, except in rare cases, quite straight forward), the enjoyment of puzzles (set timer strongly recommended for added tension and reducing play time), the tension of not knowing what´s behind each door or where the monster is going to jump on you. All in all, I would say Investigator play it´s more tactical : character positioning on the board and making effective use of every Action.

- Playing Keeper gives you a lot of nasty things to throw to your players to slow them and hamper them in the most imaginative ways possible. Knowing the objective from the begining makes your game more strategic I would say. Timely card play and effective use of Threat are a must. Thinking ahead a few turns, anticipating what the players might do, and misleading them is a very tricky part of the game. But loads of fun indeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Olivier
Canada
Abbotsford
bc
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Acererak wrote:
It´s probably just a matter of tastes, but both experiences are rewarding in different ways :

- Playing Investigators gives you some cool abilities and cards to toy around with, the great feeling of exploring the unknown and discovering clues that tell you the story (deduction process is, except in rare cases, quite straight forward), the enjoyment of puzzles (set timer strongly recommended for added tension and reducing play time), the tension of not knowing what´s behind each door or where the monster is going to jump on you. All in all, I would say Investigator play it´s more tactical : character positioning on the board and making effective use of every Action.

- Playing Keeper gives you a lot of nasty things to throw to your players to slow them and hamper them in the most imaginative ways possible. Knowing the objective from the begining makes your game more strategic I would say. Timely card play and effective use of Threat are a must. Thinking ahead a few turns, anticipating what the players might do, and misleading them is a very tricky part of the game. But loads of fun indeed.

I love playing the keeper. one thing you should keep in mind if you have not bought the game is you will most likely be the keeper in most of you games if you own it unless you have played with the same people a few times and they know the game as well as you. at least in my experience the keeper is almost the dungeon master and has to guide all aspects of play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Rose
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my game group, everyone wants to play the keeper. We end up rolling dice to see who gets to be it. Although there are several options each turn, it's really not complicated at all and very very fun.

One thing I will say, is that when you play the keeper, the other players will hate you. They will say mean things about you and constantly accuse you of cheating.

The funny thing is, when you switch rolls and play an investigator, you will be calling the next keeper horrible names as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Elmore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played this twice, once in each role. Being the keeper was fun, though I felt guilty trouncing the investigators so thoroughly. Part of it was the newness. Our first game, the keeper didn't have much of a chance, since the scenario was more physical-based, and we had some combat-based investigators. There was also something the keeper did that freaked us out, so we overreacted.

Spoiler as to what that was:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The maniac in Story 1 would collect a sample and run away, so naturally we shot the hell out of the maniac when we could.

So, when I offered to run the same story with a different objective, things went quite differently. Where the keeper in the 1st game did something that freaked us out, she told us that she would have gotten a little perk if she succeeded. It wasn't part of her victory condition. What did I get for my story? That very thing was part of my victory condition.

This time, when I did something that was freaky, the investigators shrugged it off. At least they did until the eldritch horror showed up, and I revealed the objective. Those of you who saw the spoiler likely know what I'm talking about.

I can see the role of keeper being pretty fun as you introduce the game to new people over and over again. For that reason, I imagine that you would want to learn the stories as players. After all, you can be the keeper all you want. But, you only get one opportunity per objective to be surprised by the story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.