Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Smith
New Zealand
Wellington
--------------
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

For myself, I agree with those commentators who have thought 'The Count' rules change the main game too much in a way that I don't like as much, but that it does give you the absolute best centre 'tile' (ie, the 12-tile inner city) to use in the basic game - both in terms of impressive looks, and of avoiding a 'one big farm' game outcome. And you get a cool vampire meeple for some other game ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, The Count of Carcassonne is my group favourite expansion with the rules as is. I'd suggest actually trying the Count rules without modification at least once before dismissing it. It isn't complex and adds a great layer of additional strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Kassler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with most of these feeling about on the Count. It is the one expansion I have for Carc that has never hit the table. The expansion that gets the most play in our group is the Tower expansion. It really adds another level of strategy and interaction.

Don't pass up great expansions just because you come across that is only passable. :D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree there's kind of an "expansion overload" w/Carc, and Count in particular is pretty fiddly. I like to just use the 12 tiles as a big starting tile.

Don't discount some of the really quality expansions though. Inns and Cathedrals (preaching to the choir there as I see you own and enjoy that one ) & River II for example.
Also the newest one is worth a look: Bridges, Castles and Bazaars.
This one adds a cool enhancement to those 2-tile football cities that tend to litter the landscape (turns them into castles that score in an unusual way). The 3-D bridges are great. And the Bazaars adds an every-now-and-then tile auction.

For me, the BC&B rule set seems to fit more organically into the basic rules than any other expansion I've seen apart from I&C. So since you like the "seamless" integration of I&C I think this one might be up your alley.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason McClean
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flapjackmachine wrote:
Hmm, The Count of Carcassonne is my group favourite expansion with the rules as is. I'd suggest actually trying the Count rules without modification at least once before dismissing it. It isn't complex and adds a great layer of additional strategy.

Especially when used with Traders and builders! It creates even more motivation to complete your opponents cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Baldowski
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing with my sons, they have - in the past - always been very selfish. They will never contribute even the smallest element to the construction of a city or road they can't directly benefit from and would rather stick a pointless feature on the edge of the map. The Count offers them a reason to 'help' other players so as to open up the opportunity to help themselves, adding a new layer of play and getting the game moving again - as they'd always spend so much longer before determined to absolutely minimise any benefit to anyone else in their placing of the tile they'd just picked up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.