Jati» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules differences between the 1965 and 1966 releases of Jati rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
I got to see a 1965 edition of Jati for the first time today, and I discovered something - there are a few rule differences, including two that are significant.

The most well known of the differences - the only one I knew of - was that the 1965 board is 10x10, while the 1966 board is 10x9. (This might be because of the differences in packaging; the 1966 edition has boards with slots for the pieces on each end, while the 1965 edition has Twixt-like boxes for the pieces, and plain boards.)

The least meaningful difference is that in the 1966 edition, scoring sequences are identified as "Jatis", while in the 1965 edition they are simply called "basic sequences".

The first meaningful rule change is that in the 1965 edition, the booster tiles can only be used to extend basic sequences, while in the 1966 edition they can be incorporated into basic sequences.

The second meaningful rule change is that in the 1965 edition, each booster is considered individually, while in the 1966 edition, boosters multiply other boosters.

As a result of these two changes, the same scoring example is used, but the scores given change. (Actually, because the example uses a tenth row, the empty top row is cut off and the row numbers decremented, but it is functionally equivalent.) As can be seen from the rules uploaded on BGG, the score for player A in 1965 was 46 points, the score for player B 67 points. In the 1966 edition, player A picks up an additional 16 points (for the diagonal identified as k9/f5 in the 1965 rules), and player B picks up an additional 5 points (as the II and III boosters are multiplied, rather than applied individually, to Row b).

There is a misprint in the 1966 rules; the tile on space b7 is supposed to be one for player B.

The 1966 edition includes two variants not present in the 1965 rules. (In Double Jati, two tiles are played at a time; in First-Five Jati, boosters aren't used and the first player to locate five tiles in a row wins.)

(As an aside, the 1966 rules are, as near as I can tell, pasted over the 1965 rules in the same manner in which the 1966 back cover is pasted over the 1965 back cover.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Septyn
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
Dereferenced variable scope line 68109: check null set failed (0xff83de47)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This picture:

appears to show the 1966 rules you're talking about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
Septyn wrote:
This picture:

appears to show the 1966 rules you're talking about.

Yes, that's correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.