Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been a bit behind integrating the new FFG expansions into my sets. But I finally got around to gluing them so it should be better now.

Anyway, I recall a bit of feedback on the Arbalestier being the same as the base game crossbowman. When I reviewed everything, I thought, no big deal, we just have one miniature representing 2 different unit types. We had that in the base game between the goblin infantry.

Looked up my old Arbalestier card and saw that they were a bit "weaker" in that you couldn't use them on the move at all and they did not generate Lore. Still, not that big of a deal.

But reading the new Arbalestier card, it is exactly the same as the crossbow. So what the heck? Why even make them arbalestiers? Why not just leave them at crossbowman?

But furthermore, does this mean the old arbalestiers in the game now follow the new rules? Seems strange to have 3 units. 2 named the same, but not and two not named the same, but match.

Or are they meant to function 100% the same but just give a little more historical feel (like the Slingers and archers in Ancients which have 0-difference besides name and graphic)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darn it Brian.....

you've left it open for me to whine again shake

This is just one of those 'alterations' that annoys me.

Actually what annoys me more is that we can't get clarification on things like this from FFG.

I'd like to list them out sometime if I knew someone was listening but my recent theory is that I will eventually just be 'clarifying' all of them on my own.

Most of the time when Todd and I play we just declare 'old arbalest rules' or 'old Spider rules' before getting into battle. When I play others however, things can be confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am guessing that this was another thing that "DoW got wrong", that the arbalestiers were intended to battle with 1d on the move. I agreed with DoW on that one, and enjoyed the distinction between the crossbows (green banner unit, 2d stationary, 1d on the move) and the arbalestiers (blue banner unit, 3d stationary, no battle on the move).

But if Borg intended the arby's to fire on the move, who am I to argue otherwise

But, yeah, it seems we essentially have two weapons with different names but same function, though a blue banner crossbow would fire at 2d on the move rather than the 1d of the changed arbalestier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toddrew wrote:
though a blue banner crossbow would fire at 2d on the move rather than the 1d of the changed arbalestier.

I thought that wording was the same.

The other thing I noticed is that with the new Battle Savvy card, Ranged units no longer collect Lore during ranged combat, only point blank. So that makes sense why that was dropped from the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Drouin
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like everyone's answered.

The only difference now is that the Crossbowmen are Green Banner and the Arbelestiers are Blue Banner. It also means that a sticker doesn't need to be provided to change the Dwarf Crossbowmen from the base set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
toddrew wrote:
though a blue banner crossbow would fire at 2d on the move rather than the 1d of the changed arbalestier.

I thought that wording was the same.

Slightly different - arbalestiers battle at a fixed 1d when on the move, regardless of banner color, while crossbows battle at -1d when on the move. Not sure if FFG is going to leave it as is, update, or merge crossbows with arbalestiers - almost purely academic at this point, as the only crossbow wielding units in the game currently are green banner dwarfs (though, for those that allow it, if that unit is "trained up" by the training camp landmark, then there are blue banner crossbows).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giacomo Leoni
United States
Providence
RI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any news on this? Also, which Arbalest card am I supposed to use with human Arbalester? New or old one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
geki wrote:
Any news on this? Also, which Arbalest card am I supposed to use with human Arbalester? New or old one?

I don't expect to ever hear news on these rules and other alterations. It's been a long time since these have been out and we've not heard or seen much that's official.

I've come to the conclusion that I must decide with my opponent before starting a game which rules/tweaks we will use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tinney
United States
Hamilton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A little late, but I thought I'd finish off this topic.

Quote:
Actually, a rule update was planned for a number of range weapons. The summary cards for the following range weapons Common Bow, Crossbow, Long Bow are amended as follows: Special: When used on the move the number of dice rolled is 1.

The Sling summary card as released in the Horrific Horde expansion is correct.

The Reflex Bow summary card is amended as follows: The line - Do not collect Lore tokens - is deleted from the card.

This of course is because all units will collect Lore tokens when in Melee and range weapon units do not collect Lore tokens when doing ranged combat (per Battle Savvy Troops rules).

The Arbalest summary card released in the Beaded Brave expansion is the correct version and takes precedence over the Arbalest card found in the Hundred Years War expansion.

We have been playing with these changes for some time now and all these were planned to be part of an updated edition for BattleLore. Of course, you can start enjoying them right now by amending your current summary cards.

Enjoy!

Richard Borg

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?e...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.