5 Posts

Descent: The Tomb of Ice» Forums » Rules

Subject: Laughin Buldar's ability -- is it ambiguous? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Schlimgen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buldar's ability reads "Laughin Buldar may use a single two-handed melee weapon as if it were a one-handed weapon."

Obviously, he can put a two-handed melee weapon in one hand and a shield in the other hand. But can he put a one-handed melee weapon in his off-hand for the off-hand bonus?

The "single two-handed melee weapon" could mean he can only equip ONE weapon (i.e., a single weapon) or one TWO-HANDED weapon. A reason to equip 2 two-handed weapons is to be able to use either one without having to re-equip in the middle of your turn.

At first, I thought it was one two-handed weapon, but now I'm not so sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven O'Shea
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He can equip one two-handed weapon in one hand, and a single handed weapon in the other to receive the off-hand bonus. Or like you said, he could have a shield instead of the single handed weapon. I think they just wanted to make it clear that he could not use 2 two-handed weapons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
His ability allows him to carry a two-handed weapon as if it were a one handed weapon. Essentially the ability allows you to have three hands when it comes to weapons. Because the base rule that is being modified in his case is that you can only have two hands worth of stuff there is no reason to think that the ability limits the number of weapons he is allowed.

I'm not sure what you mean by equipping 2 two-handed weapons so you can use either without having to re-equip in the middle of a turn. His ability still does not allow the simultaneous equipping of more than one two-handed weapon (although he could have one equipped and the other in his pack, but he could do that even without his ability).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
flag msg tools
macron wrote:
Buldar's ability reads "Laughin Buldar may use a single two-handed melee weapon as if it were a one-handed weapon."

Emphasis mine. He may only equip one 2-handed weapon at a time. It only requires one of his hands, unlike the two hands it normally requires of other heroes, but even so only one at a time.

He may not equip two two-handed weapons.

macron wrote:

But can he put a one-handed melee weapon in his off-hand for the off-hand bonus?

I was originally going to say no, but after thinking about it a bit I believe the answer is actually yes. The ability says Laughin Buldar may use a single two-handed weapon as if it were a one-handed weapon. Not just that he may equip it, but that he may use it as such, which would mean it should count for attacking (and dual weilding) as a one-handed weapon, too.

Plus it lines up with what he's doing in his picture, not that that's really a valid rules arguement, of course =P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stewi wrote:

Plus it lines up with what he's doing in his picture, not that that's really a valid rules arguement, of course =P

and his miniature figurine.. so it seems like use of an offhand weapon is endorsed by the FFG artwork & sculpting..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.