Munchkin 7: Cheat With Both Hands» Forums » Rules

Subject: What am I supposed to do with these cards??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
ASL ... yes, this is my Desert Island Game. If I have to give up all my 3000+ games and only allowed to keep one, this would be it. This bloody game stood the test of time. Around for more than 25 years - simply the best.
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Please help - I'm loosing my sanity over the thousand Munchkin cards goo

Ok, being the brave customer, I tried to get every bloody Munchkin card set out there. Now they did a second expansion set numbered "7". The rules say they replace the set "7 - More Good Cards". So I'm supposed to remove all cards from this previous #7 set, throw them away and use the new "7 - Chat With Both Hands" instead.

Right?
If yes: what a waste!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Okay...here's the backstory.

Munchkin Blender existed long ago and is now out of print. It contained more of some of the cards that just don't come up frequently enough due to deck dilution when you start combining sets such as the Fantasy flavored Munchkin with all of the Fantasy expansions. The card backs had cartoonish blenders on them and had a purple color scheme.

Munchkin 7: More Good Cards contained about 56 cards, many, if not most, were found previously in Blender, but it too was designed to be mixed in.

Munchkin 7: Cheat With Both Hands too contains cards previously found in Blender, but the Monster Enhancers...that is, the cards that did nothing more than pump up monsters into even bigger badasses, were left out intentionally for another release.

Munchkin: Monster Enhancers is an upcoming booster pack style release that contains cards designed to turn big monsters like the Plutonium Dragon and Cthulhu into huge tanks. I believe there are cards that will add +15 and +20 to Monsters in combat. Some evil stuff.

Blender and the Munchkin Dice sets were popular, but went out of print for various reasons. The company wasn't thrilled with the purple coloring of Blender, preferring the standard brown card backs of the Fantasy Munchkin. The actual dice in Munchkin Dice were replaced by the Wicked Munchkin Dice from Q-Workshop and a set from SJGames.

I don't honestly now why they made More Good Cards. Perhaps a stopgap measure to appease cranky fans clamoring for Blender. It's a useful set and I usually mix it in regardless of whether or not SJGames says Cheat With Both Hands replaces it.

Cheat With Both Hands, along with Monster Enhancers, gives you everything that was in Blender, plus a couple unique cards. Both of those sets were meant for folks that never got a chance to get Blender. If you own Blender, then it's superfluous. If you own More Good Cards, don't feel bad. There's nothing that says you can't add them anyways. All it'll do is add to the chances of those particular cards coming up in a game. I don't know about you, but a couple extra Wandering Monsters and Curses aren't going to ruin the game for me. Probably the opposite.

So...if you have everything they've released up to this point, then technically Blender, Dice and More Good Cards are defunct and you can do what you want with them, including use them in game.

If you know anyone else that has Munchkin cards and doesn't own Blender or Cheat With Both Hands, you might consider giving them More Good Cards. You'll rid yourself of something you don't really need and would be giving something that will make your friend happy. Perhaps until he/she buys Cheat With Both Hands themselves and finds themselves in the same situation you're in now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
ASL ... yes, this is my Desert Island Game. If I have to give up all my 3000+ games and only allowed to keep one, this would be it. This bloody game stood the test of time. Around for more than 25 years - simply the best.
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaah, thank you so much for sharing your Munchkin knowledge!

Likely I will mix them into the existing card mix now. Or I'll sleep over it. Nevertheless, thanks again, your answer was really helpful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hackard
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hskrfn822 wrote:
Munchkin 7: Cheat With Both Hands too contains cards previously found in Blender, but the Monster Enhancers...that is, the cards that did nothing more than pump up monsters into even bigger badasses, were left out intentionally for another release.

Munchkin: Monster Enhancers is an upcoming booster pack style release that contains cards designed to turn big monsters like the Plutonium Dragon and Cthulhu into huge tanks. I believe there are cards that will add +15 and +20 to Monsters in combat. Some evil stuff.

This is not quite correct.

The card list in Cheat With Both Hands is exactly the same card list as Blender. Many of the cards have text that changed to some degree, to better reflect the revised rules that started last spring, but the actual list of cards is exactly the same. The CWBH cards have fantasy coloring, and many of them use fantasy-themed art (often taken from More Good Cards) rather than the bizarre hybrid art from Blender.

Most of the cards in More Good Cards were fantasy-branded reprints of cards originally in Blender. The cards from More Good Cards that were unique to that set have been pulled out and turned into a new booster, Munchkin Monster Enhancers (along with a couple of new cards, Hollywood and Ultimate, to fill it out to 15 cards).

hskrfn822 wrote:
Blender and the Munchkin Dice sets were popular, but went out of print for various reasons. The company wasn't thrilled with the purple coloring of Blender, preferring the standard brown card backs of the Fantasy Munchkin. The actual dice in Munchkin Dice were replaced by the Wicked Munchkin Dice from Q-Workshop and a set from SJGames.

Again, this is somewhat misleading. The purple color of Blender was unpopular with many fans, not just with some SJ Games staff. And because now the fantasy line has enough expansions that it can support Blender by itself, rebranding Blender as a fantasy set makes sense for the Munchkin sub-line that far and away outsells all the rest. (We sell more copies each month of even the slowest fantasy expansion than we sell of several other Munchkin core sets. It would be foolish not to cater to the obvious demand.)

hskrfn822 wrote:
I don't honestly now why they made More Good Cards.

I wasn't around at the time, but I do know there was considerable demand for a "fantasy Blender." I suspect that's where it came from.

hskrfn822 wrote:
So...if you have everything they've released up to this point, then technically Blender, Dice and More Good Cards are defunct and you can do what you want with them, including use them in game.

You may be unaware that the cards from Munchkin Dice have been reprinted in the booster Munchkin Reloaded! You can't get the dice at this time, but it would have been a waste to leave some pretty cool cards out of print. So we didn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.