$10.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Ubongo» Forums » News

Subject: WiiWare release (Europe: April 22, 2011; North America: June 6, 2011) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edward Jamer
Canada
Fredericton
NB
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hmm... interesting. Just heard that this is being released on WiiWare for 800 points (ie: $8) in Europe tomorrow. Anyone know if a North American release is also happening? First I've heard about it, but this is a game I'd consider supporting if the implementation is halfway decent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Now I can add text to my avatar? Sweet! How do I do it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WiiWare release (Europe): April 22, 2011
Looks like there's not a whole lot of interest in the WiiWare version, at least based on the lack of response to this thread. I just read a review of the WiiWare version and it was not good. That's too bad really, but I may still pick this one when and if it comes to North America.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Jamer
Canada
Fredericton
NB
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: WiiWare release (Europe): April 22, 2011
(Now available in North America.)

I read the same review, but didn't find it very helpful. The summary was:
"It may be termed a board game, but Ubongo is an unhappy mess of Tetris, tangrams and gem-grabbing, with no strategy required to win and subsequently no satisfaction."

That doesn't quite jive with opinions and reviews that I read here on BGG, so leaves me wondering if the reviewer simply had different expectations going in? If comparing Ubongo to a normal video game puzzler, or expecting it to be a Tetris knock-off, obviously it won't stack up the same way.

From the vague description, the WiiWare version does sound a bit bare-bones - a handful of configuration options available for multiplayer, but apparently no extra modes (online, tournament, recorded profile stats) which is disappointing. Totally unsure what controls are like, which seems like an oversight of the reviewer.

Unless other reviews pop up, I'll probably download and post impressions at some point in the near future.

[Edit: Downloaded and played a bit. Definitely don't agree with the low review score, but can kind of understand where the reviewer is coming from. Not a lot of in-game options, some minor polish issues, and definitely better as a multiplayer game than solo... but if you have any interest in the board game then this should be a safe purchase at $8. Will post a full review if anyone expresses interest.]

Edit 2: Having played more, my opinion is improving. The story mode is still... odd. Not really recommended, but I guess they needed to put something like that in for a video game release. However, the multiplayer and quickplay (especially time attack) modes are quite a bit of fun. That probably speaks more to the quality of Ubongo as a game than the actual video game release.

Edit 3: Multiplayer with friends and non-gamers has gone over extremely well. There was a short learning curve for the controls and puzzle-solving. Short games with a "one more shot" feeling and competitive nature still made it easy to get people involved. I still prefer time attack mode, but when players aren't all of equal skill the regular game is probably more fair. Limited options and the lack of online modes were pointed out, but having fun with people in the same room still has a place in my home.

My biggest complaint about this game is just that it could have been
better with more attention and polish. Ubongo is still fun, and works well with groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.