Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So straight after I finished my post apocalyptic map, I started work on another. I didn't have a solid idea going into it like I did with my last map. so I stopped.

After spending so much time redesigning the graphics on the railroad tolkoon map I decided to look into this map again.

Heres what I got so far.

I was thinking I would put a single warp hex in the middle of the map there somewhere and since there are quite a few cities, the cities would all have low cube densities. the map would still potentially be worth decent points to someone willing to develop the board.

I was really hoping for thoughts from others on this one. Especially if I was to complete it what the time/location would be.

also thoughts on the timeline bonus's
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
With only one warp hex, cube only be delivered off the map or onto the map but never through the map. It's basically a dead end map which I hope will make sense with whatever era you make it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a great point that I hadn't considered Joe.

I don't have a problem with that being the case, as I don't just want maps that are the same as the others.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

more I think about it the more I like that unique part of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had inspiration for yet another new map, so stay tuned for that.

But still no idea about what time period/location this map could be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
"Lost" civilizations and their time periods make great fodder for the "What If" scenario created by this expansion. Could Lief Erikson ride my train to Machu Picchu?

Ancient Babylon (featuring Tigris and Euphrates rivers)
Viking Era (Featuring northern Europe geography)
Inca (Pre-Columbus western South America)
Shangri-La (fabled, ancient Tibet, needs a map that links India to China probably since Shangri-La is just a city)
Atlantis (pre-submerge, of course. Coal burning steam engines don't work too well under water)
Lunar Colony Alpha (special rules for track costs are a must, of course)

Add in your Post-Apocalypse map and the "one way" map and you have 8 maps. I'll make up cards for them. RThruT2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin long
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You could do 2 maps in one with this many cities. Water cutting off the 2 parts so can never cross through the map. And if your adding a new rule specific to a map then print it along the side or bottom. Like in this example "Treat as 2 different maps." Might be a good map for 4 or more players?

Also i liked that you only had one colored city on the apocalypse. If your new map(s) corellate with it in some way to make them good companion maps? Such as only having one colored city in this new map so more cities have to be urbanised if combined with the apocalypse. Right now that would be more pertinent to a 2 player game when you only have 3 maps.

If you get more of your maps out then I think i will play apocalypse and the new one in a 2 player game with only those 2 maps

How bout a time line bonus for beeing first to pass through water and mountain. So that would be different from the usual connect this and that but instead pass through... Your apocalypse map had great idea with the connect from one warp to another to give flexibility to achieving it like with regular city connections. Pass through land features would give even more flexibility in achieving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
treece keenes wrote:
You could do 2 maps in one with this many cities. Water cutting off the 2 parts so can never cross through the map. And if your adding a new rule specific to a map then print it along the side or bottom. Like in this example "Treat as 2 different maps." Might be a good map for 4 or more players?

Apparently we think alot alike. stay tuned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jmucchiello wrote:
With only one warp hex, cube only be delivered off the map or onto the map but never through the map. It's basically a dead end map which I hope will make sense with whatever era you make it.

What not give it a 4 hex warp, the middle hex and 3 hexes N, SW & SE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin long
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You go Man! I will print out and play anything you make...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
treece keenes wrote:

I don't like the treat as 2 different maps idea. I think no matter how many warp points the era has, the "visit each era only once" rule should be global. Greece already has a city isolated from the rest of the map and cubes in that city can never go to the other Greek cities.

Quote:
How bout a time line bonus for beeing first to pass through water and mountain. So that would be different from the usual connect this and that but instead pass through... Your apocalypse map had great idea with the connect from one warp to another to give flexibility to achieving it like with regular city connections. Pass through land features would give even more flexibility in achieving.

Not bad ideas. Also, have a third time-line on a map (to balance The Stone Age, of course) would be interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe I believe Kevin was referring to the treat as two maps for my other map.

oh heck i'm going to show it.

beware, the land mass shapes are set (otherwise i gotta redesign the board.
but the hexes themselves are not, and may (will change considerably.

The title is placeholder, i saw it on google and thought it was funny.

The the board is double size, so for determining the number of boards per players, treat this as if it was 2.

Each time period is considered its own board for warping purposes etc.

it will likely end up with 4 timeline bonus', 1 which i'd love to be connect through all 3 prehistoric eras and then one for each board.

thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
abodi wrote:

thoughts?

I don't know. Do you need 3 dinosaur periods? I'm just excited by my list of time periods, I think. Maybe I'll work on them myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmucchiello wrote:
abodi wrote:

thoughts?

I don't know. Do you need 3 dinosaur periods? I'm just excited by my list of time periods, I think. Maybe I'll work on them myself.

do we need an expansion for railways about time travel, nope but glad they did. same could be said of this map.

it spans like 200 million years and I hope to make each one slightly different.

I mean I could have made a map that incorporated 3 of the time periods you mentioned, but I think they would benefit much better from a full board, rather than these small pocket ones.

Joe i'd be happy to lend a hand doing up another time period if you would like help.

side query : Seeing as they are independent boards, would people be against playing with the scale on a particular board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin long
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OOH! love it! Hey i came back to this thread to throw out an idea and got rewarded with all this excitement going down. Good reading!

Something unique to a multiple map in one where areas are physically seperated. How bout certain points are permanent warps for cubes only. Lets say i have the ability to ship from point A. This also gives me the ability to ship from Point B. These could be 2 cube locales and you could have several pairings doing this etc. Something like this just for the fun factor or maybe we might come up with something that adds strategy...

Good brainstorming going on here! don't shoot down ideas - try to find other ways to make them work or change um

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin long
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Are your arrows from one time period to another for chronological reference or could you say that only a time warp from the most recent can reach the next earlier era? Could make that last area pretty lucrative as a teaser and a race...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
treece keenes wrote:
Are your arrows from one time period to another for chronological reference or could you say that only a time warp from the most recent can reach the next earlier era? Could make that last area pretty lucrative as a teaser and a race...

Now that would be interesting. Having time periods that can only link from one to the next. With separate boards that just doesn't work. But with the double board, it makes much more sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only for chronological reference at this stage.

I had thought previously about linked portals. but i hadn't though about that specifically on this map.

One think i'm mulling over in my head, is urbanised cities? i mean from a likelihood situation, i'd jsut make every city(potential city) grey, and just have good cubes make it worth while, this approched as been used before in the ohio map for RRT. but it is fun? and what sort of incentive would be require, to make it worth while.

i mean with the 1 board more the N players rule. you don't have alot of choice, if this board is out, someone will have to build and use it.

thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
abodi wrote:

I had thought previously about linked portals. but i hadn't though about that specifically on this map.

However you did linked portals they really should sit all on one board, regardless of its size. Just to avoid confusion.

Quote:
One think i'm mulling over in my head, is urbanised cities? i mean from a likelihood situation, i'd jsut make every city(potential city) grey, and just have good cubes make it worth while, this approched as been used before in the ohio map for RRT. but it is fun? and what sort of incentive would be require, to make it worth while.

As a single board it could be interesting. As long as there is plenty of warp points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmucchiello wrote:
abodi wrote:

However you did linked portals they really should sit all on one board, regardless of its size. Just to avoid confusion.

not sure I follow what you are saying here, but my thought would be just to use colored portals, so if you go into a blue portal you can only come out of a blue portal, and then same for another color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
abodi wrote:
jmucchiello wrote:
abodi wrote:

not sure I follow what you are saying here, but my thought would be just to use colored portals, so if you go into a blue portal you can only come out of a blue portal, and then same for another color.

In the context of Railways Thru Time, you should only have weird portals connect locations on the same board, like the dinosaur board.

Or I guess you could be working on a new expansion: Railways Through Portals (Actually that almost makes more sense then through time, sort of.) Not quite compatible with RthruT since those portals aren't colored. But as it's own "expansion" it could work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oh got you, and yes I agree, directed portals should only exist on one board. (or a set of boards)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin long
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
WHERE IS IT! WHERE IS IT!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
still a while away. i got a crazy vomiting bug.today was supposed to be my all day 6 player railways day. but had to cancel.

tell you what design one of the three boards for me.

just use paint and paint use circles laid out in a hex like pattern,

so green borown, blue, etc.

if you would like that is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin long
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been tempted because of your maps - looks like fun. But i have too many design projects already. I'll wait for yours - yours are excellent! Take your time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.