Popular Tags: [View All]
David Bezio
United States
Lyndon Station
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Both my daughters (18 and 21) and their boyfriends came over for Easter Sunday. My oldest one enjoys my games (I blew her away with Last Night on Earth on Thanksgiving), but none of the others (including my wife) really do. They are fine with traditional games…but my geeky stuff usually doesn’t do it for them.

In any case, I announced we would be playing one of my games on Easter (between the egg hunt and the prime rib). I have 2 games that I specifically purchased as “party” games for larger groups. The first was Junkyard Races and the second was Leaping Lemmings.

Junkyard races seemed like an appropriate game for the group, but I found myself a little short on prep time and reading the rules was sort of making my head spin. They aren’t super complicated, but they are a bit involved and I was going to have to teach these rules.

I didn’t think Leaping Lemmings was going to be as big a hit as Junkyard Races would have been, but the rule book was shorter…so I started reading. I got about half way through the rules before the guests arrived. I had a bit of a grasp of how to play, but figured I’d have to go over the rest, or learn as we play (which was eventually the case).

In any case, the game turned out to be a great success! It started slowly, as I was teaching rules to everyone that I barely new myself. I was getting afraid that the game would blow…but after we had a grasp of the core rules, the game started going faster and everyone started getting into it.

A little further into the game, people were starting to pick up on the tactics (and I was surprised to see that there are a lot of them subtly hidden under the relatively simple and straightforward game). People were also started to enjoy hampering their opponents and getting revenge.

We started out playing just to kill time until the food was ready…but when the prime rib was finished (and it was delicious!) nobody wanted to quit playing. Everyone kept begging for one more round.

I didn’t really keep track of time (and nobody really cared, which is always a good sign), but the game probably took us about 2 ½ hours, with all the learning and the relatively large number of people. Still, once everyone started to “get it” the turns were fast, nobody got bored, and the excitement just kept building right to the tie breakers for 1st, second, and third place at the end.

I give this game a big 2 thumbs up for serious gamers who have friends or family that aren’t that into non-traditional games. It’ll be interesting and challenging enough for you, while being simple and exciting enough for them. I’m sure I’ll pull this out again at the next family function.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hiske
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Fun!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to hear that it was a success! Now I have another reason why I should let my copy breathe from the shrinkwrap. Thanks for the good story David, knowing that it works for non-gamers, I think I'll make many good plays from it. Hopefully, that 2.5 hours won't be a deal breaker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bezio
United States
Lyndon Station
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dtroy_de_rapcore wrote:
Hopefully, that 2.5 hours won't be a deal breaker.

That included set-up, me teaching the rules, and learning/reading some of the rules as we started. It also included side talk, getting drinks, and sometimes waiting for my wife or me to step over from the kitchen to take our turn.

A second game would probably be a lot faster...but inthis case, speed wasn't really a factor, since everyone was having fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without interruptions for drinks and cooking, and with the rules explanation, the first time play for our group was nearly spot on to the 12 minutes x # of players listed on the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You went and gave me an even bigger Easter smile!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bezio
United States
Lyndon Station
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
John Poniske wrote:
You went and gave me an even bigger Easter smile!

John, seriously, Great game! I recently went on a "mission" to fill a bunch of various niche needs in my gaming collection. One of those niches was games for larger groups (over 4) of people that weren’t really gamers, like my family and friends that come over for a few drinks and to socialize.

Unfortunately, I find many games that are “lite” enough for non-gamers to get into are often unchallenging for me to the point that I’m pretty bored.

Leaping Lemmings had enough tactical aspects that it kept me thinking…but it didn’t have so many that I had to spend a million years contemplating each turn. I found it challenging and fun. In contrast, the non-gamers found it simple enough to get into, while providing a new level of challenge that really grabbed their interest and kept them focused.

After the game, there was discussion about what people could have done differently to have won. For the record, I ended up coming in tied for 4th /5th place…so this game really levels the playing field for those with more experience and those with literally none.

I don’t want to pump your ego too much, but I definitely give this 5 out of 5 stars. I made a lot of disappointing purchases lately, and this one really did exactly what I wanted it to do for the target group and myself.

P.S. Even some texting going on about the game this morning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots fo folks poured a lot of love into LL, David. We are all happy it strikes the right chords.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to see LL in the retail stores. I think it could be a contenda

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Palmer
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great AAR of a great game. I intend to get it on the table with my non-gamer family and friends soon. I'm sure we will enjoy it again as their reaction for our initial run was the same as your experience. Maybe a little longer playing time but we most likely talked and drank more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bezio
United States
Lyndon Station
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gap10 wrote:
and drank more!

I was sooooo glad I didn't start drinking till after the game was well underwayzombie. Reading a rule book and teaching a game (when you are the only one who knows the rules) is a bitch after a few (I just did it a few weeks ago with Survive, Escape from Atlantis).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.