Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J. Jefferson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there meaningful differences between the Mattel and Out of the Box editions? If so, which one is better?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I understand, the only difference is the artistic style (of the card artwork and the animal sculptures). I've played both and I believe the rules are exactly the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Jefferson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pk2317 wrote:
From what I understand, the only difference is the artistic style (of the card artwork and the animal sculptures). I've played both and I believe the rules are exactly the same.

Thanks, do you have a preference for the animal sculptures that come with one edition or the other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not particularly, it's entirely up to your artistic sensibilities

Mattel:

OotB:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mayer
United States
Perry
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I like the Out of the Box version because the artwork on the cards mirrors the artwork of the figures. While this seems small, I feel it adds to the mixup confusion of what animal noise to make as the cards look exactly like the animals you are trying to remember.

Again, a small thing but I think it adds just a little something extra. Like a good seasoning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Wintner
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While the art of the Mattel version is qualitatively better, as far as gameplay goes the art of the Out of the Box edition is actually more helpful since it's more stark, so cards can be told apart more easily. For example, looking at the picture above of the Mattel art, the pictures of the duck and the rooster look pretty similar from afar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.