Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Schroeder
United States
Lewiston
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused as to what's defined as a quarter, in this expansion. I don't think they mean a quarter of all tiles...

When looking at the rulebook, some of the type, that is highlighted in a white glowing background is a big inconsistent, or ambiguous I think. For instance, at the bottom, it says blacksmith over the 3rd tile from the left, on the bottom row - so does it mean only that tile is the blacksmith? I wouldn't think so, because some graphical features, common to the 3rd tile from the left, overlap and continue onto the other tile next to it...

Another case, the market, is that only the 2nd row, last two tiles from the left?

The cathedral - I see graphical features of the "cathedral" itself, mostly on 2 tiles, and partially on the 2nd row, 1st tile...so where is it?

Catch my drift?

From the rulebook, where I see the type, Cathedral, I'd be inclined to think it's on the 1ns and 2nd rows, first two tiles on both rows...

I almost need a new map or image with a outline of the areas.

On the same note, I'm assuming you can only place 1 meeple on a tile? Exception is the count? But more than one player and more than 1 meeple can be on an "area", lets not call it quarter....? Just a different tile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
+++++[>+++++++++++++.>++++++++++[>++++++++++++++++++.--------.---.+++++++++++++++++.---.-.
mb
Does it matter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quarter doesn't just mean 25%. Many old cities have a Jewish quarter that I doubt was exactly 1/4 of the city in terms of geography or population.

There are just 4 areas. There is no limit to the number of meeples that can be placed in any one quarter. So as Aldaron says, it doesn't matter. It is just artistic license.

The only issue I have is that it is just hard to distinguish the areas and the artwork isn't always intuitive to what it is linked too. So having a little more definition would have been good especially since I rarely use this set and don't have it memorized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schroeder
United States
Lewiston
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't a strictly defined set of boundaries, per quarter, needed, to tell what quarter my meeples are in?

I don't want to put a meeple in the blacksmith just to find out later that he was really in a "generic carcassonne city tile (by that I mean, what are the tiles in row 3, tiles 1 and 2?), or in the market, instead." And this mistake happening because of the ambiguity on the rulesheet picture.

I do plan on looking at the images on here, but I don't think that would help define boundaries for me.

And isn't it necessary to have that boundary for purposes of the count?

I'm just trying to think this ahead of possible scenarios before I actually play with this expanion - so keep in mind, I haven't played with the expansion yet and therefore don't have exp with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I am saying it could have been better. I think they took too much artistic license at the cost of some functionality.

But just group them together as best you can near the image of the respective places as possible. Announce where you are planning on putting the meeple so if you place him in the wrong quarter, someone can correct you right then without it being a problem later.

The Cathedral is obvious. The Castle is fairly well defined. I am not really sure what the heck the graphic is for the Blacksmith but it appears to be a little anvil surrounded by horses. So it's between the two walls of the city right by the road (which helps you remember that Blacksmith = Road). So that just leaves the market which has no real boundaries but the color is more yellow and black than the red-roofed areas.

So if you are hung up on tiles, place the Cathedral in column 2, row 2; the Castle in column 3 row 1; the Market in column 4, row 2; and the Blacksmith in column 3, row 3. It also makes a nice cross so that each tile touches on a corner with a little space to expand outwards.

If they do spill over their tile or out of the castle wall, who cares, all 12 tiles are protected from the dragon and such.

edit: grammar and clarification
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schroeder
United States
Lewiston
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that detailed explanation. I guess we'll almost have to , as you said, do our best and almost wing it, just make a best judgement call.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.