Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
To close out last Saturday's gaming, we turned to one of my favourite lighter games - Leaping Lemmings. This is a game that plays very well, quite quickly with experienced players, and offers a chance to annoy your opponents on your way to leaping your lemmings off cliffs.

Or having them eaten by eagles, which tends to be a bit more common.

Four of us played this game. I played dark green (Vikings), Ben was light green, Rich was red, and Paul was blue. We've all played the game a few times before, and so soon the board was set-up and we were into the game.

Ruby the Eagle soon blocked the advance of "Perry", with both Rich and Paul hiding in the central bush and meaning there was no more room for me. Ben moved Jewel further ahead, and I found myself having to start a second lemming - "John" - who came into the same area as Perry. "Don't roll a one!" I pleaded with the Eagle's controller...

...to no avail, as Perry was eaten and John scattered away.

Our lemmings ran down the field, with stacks of lemmings appearing just to (a) annoy our opponents and (b) trying to eat the tasty pellets before the Eagles arrived. Eating pellets on the Line of Bones is not the safest course...

...but we were lucky enough to survive it. In something I've rarely seen in a game of Leaping Lemmings, all four of our primary lemmings were now near or on the edge of the cliff! Could they jump off safely, or was something going to eat them?

As it turned off, nothing ate them, nothing disrupted them, and they launched themselves into glory, some players using favour pellets for superior scores!

We now started concentrating on our other lemmings. Could they make the distance?

It was discovered that "Perry" wasn't in fact dead - it was a case of Mistaken Identity, and that "Ed" had actually been eaten instead. Paul wasn't happy with me doing this, and when he got the eagle dice, took revenge. In fact, in the next passage of play, the Eagles got very well fed indeed - two of my lemmings, one of Rich's and one of Ben's.

Ben got another lemming up to the cliff, only to have Rich shout "Boo!" at it and it to topple off for a solitary point. Not a stylish way to go!

The game continued, and it soon became very, very apparent that I was using some very risky tactics - tactics that were giving me a number of favour pellets, but also losing me a lot of lemmings. More lemmings made it to the cliff and launched themselves off, but most lemmings were involved in Eagle Tag and hiding themselves in bushes... or being hidden under other lemmings and unable to lose.

I got to the state where I had only one lemming left: six eaten, three jumpers, and only Wilma left of the entire clan. She spent a couple of turns clawing herself back to the top of the stack, due to the interference of the other players.

And then, just before Rich could launch further lemmings into the void, the Game End card came up. Wilma wandered back to her lonely hutch, and us scientists worked out the victory points, adding in the pellets we'd drawn along with the special cards we hadn't played.

Final Scores:
Merric 17, Ben 13, Rich 11, Paul 8.

I'd gained a massive 7 points from pellets. Ben had seen a couple of lemmings tumble off cliffs due to the play of "spoiler" cards, although he'd only lost one lemming to the eagles.

The game took about 50 minutes to play through, and was a lot of fun. I really enjoy Leaping Lemmings, and this won't be the last game I play of it!

Finally, the Lemming Hall of Fame:

5 Star Lemmings: Kim
4 Star Lemmings: Monica, John, Andy, Donna, Elizabeth
3 Star Lemmings: Josh, Jewel
2 Star Lemmings: Perry "I'm not dead"
1 Star Lemmings: Scott, Shirley
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice session. Question: It appears you keep your starting lemmings in front of each player and not in the starting area?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, we do. Less clutter that way. (Dead lemmings end up in the boxes, so there's no confusion).

Cheers,
Merric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Then what am I seeing in the Eagle Chow Pile, "not dead yet" Lemmings?meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.