Subject: Basic Observations Even a Lemming Would Recognize rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some basic observations in this game based on a sigle rules-learning play. Feel free to correct or add to it:

1) Look at the dice. You have d6's with the following sides:

Hover(Pellet)

Given that, if you must be out in the open, try to expose a lemming that is 3 control zones away from the Flying Eagle in that zone. Keep in mind that a "Feasting" Eagle will use up 1 movement to flip over to the flying side, so in that case, your exposed lemming is safest 3 control zones away from the zone the feasting Eagle currently resides (since there is no "4" on the die, he is then safe and unmunchable.) Otherwise, 2 zones of control away from a feasting Eagle is the safest but still vulnerable areas (only a "3" rolled for that Eagle will hit him.)

2) Bush-hopping is very important. Trying a dead run across open ground will leave you with one less lemming, most likely.

3) Eagle management: You can somewhat channel the lemmings coming across the board by coordinating the placement of your two Eagles so that the lemmings: a) enter zones where the Pellets have been used and not replaced so as not to gain a pellet, and b) channel the lemmings across the"bones" to one side or another of the board.

4) Read your cards. Scattering a group or moving a lemming via a card can be instant death for the first lemming entering an Eagle's zone of control. A timely crumble of the cliff wall can reduce to 1 VP a lemming waiting for his turn to make the "leap of faith" and score big points.

Also, does anyone know what the average scoring is in this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Now I can add text to my avatar? Sweet! How do I do it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Basic Observations
All good points. Regarding the placement of lemmings in the eagle zones, I would add to be careful when you control the eagles. When you are in control the next turn, do not put one of your lemmings exactly three spaces from the eagle and do not have two lemmings equal distance on both sides of an eagle. Either of these situations can force you to eat one of your own lemmings, which is never fun.

Not sure of average scores as I've only played once, but I imagine it varies a lot based on the number of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
Du Quoin
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
markgravitygood wrote:
Some basic observations in this game based on a sigle rules-learning play.

Oh, so you've played once and now you're an expert!? devil laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Basic Observations even a lemming would recognize" is probably a better title, Mr. Lemming!shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
Du Quoin
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, you know I'm just bustin' yer chops on account of that fun we had over in the Dominant Species forums, right!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course! No problem here, you Lemming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cagriggs wrote:
All good points. Regarding the placement of lemmings in the eagle zones, I would add to be careful when you control the eagles. When you are in control the next turn, do not put one of your lemmings exactly three spaces from the eagle and do not have two lemmings equal distance on both sides of an eagle. Either of these situations can force you to eat one of your own lemmings, which is never fun.

I get the second example because if you roll a 2, you'll have to eat one of 'em. But, when presented with a choice, 3 spaces away form a flying eagle is the safest place to be if forced to stay in the Eagle Fly Zone becuase only 1 side on the die is a 3 - you have a 1-in-6 chance of getting eaten, whereas 1 or 2 spaces away results in having 1-in-3 chance of getting eaten. I could be having a senior moment...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another observation, maybe not so obvious:

5) Be aware of turn order regarding Eagle play. For example, it is safe to place an exposed lemming in a control zone (no eagle present, of course) that has an opposing, exposed lemming that has already moved during the turn of the player just prior to your turn, i.e., you get the eagle next turn. This is possible because (barring any special actions), if forced, you can feast in that zone and select the opposing lemming, then scatter forward if your lemming is placed favorably.

Of course, if the opposing lemming player has not moved yet, then it is risky - he may move out of that zone, leaving you to fend for yourself. You lose that fight.

Cute game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.