Subject: Using Elder Sign when You Cannot Seal a Gate rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, experts.

I recently got my copy of AH a couple weeks ago and decided to do a solo game to get the hang of the rules last night. It was a little slow-n-go as you can imagine but it was pretty straightforward while referring to the rules. However, a situation arose with some cards and I wanted to know the correct way of handling the situation:

The Mythos Card No One Can Help You Now came into play. It says that Gates cannot be sealed, although they can be closed. While this is in play, would it be possible to still use an Elder Sign after exiting a Gate to remove a token from the Doom Track even though the Gate itself cannot be sealed? If so, do you still suffer the -1 San and Sta penalty or is that only for the sealing effect?

Thanks. I'm sure I'll have more questions later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elder Signs seal, and be default close, gates. If you can't seal with the Mythos, you can't use this card to close. So you have to do it the old fashioned way - by rolling - or wait for the environment to expire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always ruled that Elder Sign cannot be used with No One Can Help You Now. The card specifically states the gate is closed and sealed.
Not even the Elder Sign Can Help You Now.

This Mythos card might be specifically aimed at Elder Sign to dilute its power.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply.

I understand what you said, but my question is: can I use the Elder Sign card to have the gate-sealing effect fizzle out but the "remove one token from the Doom Track" ability kick in? I'm assuming not, but I want to be clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
n107 wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

I understand what you said, but my question is: can I use the Elder Sign card to have the gate-sealing effect fizzle out but the "remove one token from the Doom Track" ability kick in? I'm assuming not, but I want to be clear.

No, you can't use the card period. Neither to seal, close, nor remove a token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apatheticexecutioner wrote:
I've always ruled that Elder Sign cannot be used with No One Can Help You Now. The card specifically states the gate is closed and sealed.
Not even the Elder Sign Can Help You Now.

This Mythos card might be specifically aimed at Elder Sign to dilute its power.

Brian

Thank you. You must've replied while I was writing my above message.

I have another quick question if anyone can be kind enough to throw out the answer:

For the Hound of Tindalos' movement, does it mean that it "jumps" to any indoor location in Arkham with the closest investigator? Or does it move indoors to the closest investigator connected to its street location? Also, if no Investigators are indoors or even on Arkham, does it still move via Black and White to other street locations while it waits for someone to attack?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The card first says "When sealing a gate," which indicates to me that you can't use it at all.

But about the doom token thing it also says, "additionally..." which can be interpreted as "instead of" or "in addition to" which results in two different answers.

But the bottom line is, or at least the way I see it: seals are Elder Signs. If you can't seal, then you can't draw an Elder Sign, so what's removing the doom token?

Edit:
The Hound goes to the closest investigator, counting by spaces. Neighborhood is irrelevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Novak
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Our sentence is up.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always assumed the Hound teleports there, ignoring the arrows.

EDIT: Which makes sense according to the Wikipedia entry on the Hounds, based on the story they are from:

"Because of their relationship with the angles of time, they can materialize through any corner if it is fairly sharp--120º or less. When a Hound is about to appear, it materializes first as smoke pouring from the corner, and finally the head emerges followed by the body. It is said that once a human becomes known to one of these creatures, a Hound of Tindalos will pursue the victim through anything to reach its quarry. A person risks attracting their attention by travelling through time."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:

But about the doom token thing it also says, "additionally..." which can be interpreted as "instead of" or "in addition to" which results in two different answers.

That's why I had the question.

Back to the Hound, does it still move if it's icon comes up and there are no Investigators indoors or in Arkham? Will it still move according to the arrows or does it only move to travel indoors to attack?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
n107 wrote:
kungfro wrote:

That's why I had the question.

Back to the Hound, does it still move if it's icon comes up and there are no Investigators indoors or in Arkham? Will it still move according to the arrows or does it only move to travel indoors to attack?

Only if there is an investigator in a location. Otherwise it stays put.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
n107 wrote:

Only if there is an investigator in a location. Otherwise it stays put.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
miko dude
msg tools
Hello

we have played arkham horror (base game) tonight against Yig (already got 9 Tokens!, next one would start the battle against him). The Mythos Card 'No One Can Help You Now' was active and i have explored a gate and owned an 'Elder Sign'. Though i couldn't use it to close the gate and i refused to close it the old fashion way (because a monster flood is better then a doom token and boss awakens).

Can i wait on the gate forever? Just do nothing. Have no encounter etc.? Just wait for a new enviromental card?

And one other question. If i want to enter a gate where a monster is. Do i have to fight it in movement/battle phase or will the gate suck me in before fighting begins? And if i have to fight/evade in Phase 2 and would still have an encounter in Phase 4 in the other world because in Phase 3 i would be sucked into the other dimension?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
say "em-cee-crispy"
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mikoli wrote:
Hello

we have played arkham horror (base game) tonight against Yig (already got 9 Tokens!, next one would start the battle against him). The Mythos Card 'No One Can Help You Now' was active and i have explored a gate and owned an 'Elder Sign'. Though i couldn't use it to close the gate and i refused to close it the old fashion way (because a monster flood is better then a doom token and boss awakens).

Can i wait on the gate forever? Just do nothing. Have no encounter etc.? Just wait for a new enviromental card?
that's perfectly legal.

Quote:
And one other question. If i want to enter a gate where a monster is. Do i have to fight it in movement/battle phase or will the gate suck me in before fighting begins? And if i have to fight/evade in Phase 2 and would still have an encounter in Phase 4 in the other world because in Phase 3 i would be sucked into the other dimension?
follow the phases. Phase II move/Encounter monsters; Phase III Arkham Encounters (drawn through Gate); Phase IV OW Encounters. Phases III and IV apply to you if you are in a location in the applicable zone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
miko dude
msg tools
Thank you for the fast response. Then we realy have won our first Arkham Horror Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.