Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul O'Connor
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my game, Jackson's corps avoided the command confusion that characterized the first day of historical action, and capitalized on excellent march rolls to push aside Federal cavalry guarding the Rapidan, finishing the first day on the banks of Cedar Run, a couple miles north of the historical Cedar Mountain battlefield. My Union troops delayed the Rebel advance with cavalry screens as best they were able, with Banks and Pope taking up position at Culpepper, and Sigel v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y marching down the Sperryville Pike to join them.

On Saturday the 9th, Sigel's corps picked up the pace, but were still several miles away from Culpepper when Robertson's cavalry swept the Yankee horsemen from the field, clearing the way for Hill, Ewell, and Winder to accompany Jackson to the outskirts of Culpepper. Ricketts' Division hastily reinforced Pope at Culpepper, bringing the Yankees to rough force parity with the Rebels right as Jackson ordered his corps assault of the Union position.

The "Blue Light Elder" knows 'em well,
Says he, "That's Banks, he fond of shell,
Lord save his soul, we'll give him Hell!"
That's Stonewall Jackson's Way!

Jackson actually attacked at an unfavorable ratio, as the rolling hills of Culpepper let the Yankees better lay their guns, but Stonewall's tactical acumen carried the day, and after a sharp engagement that saw both side disorganized and equivalently damaged, the Yankees routed and the Rebels marched into Culpepper.

Sigel completed his approach march, and prepared to counterattack across the stream into Culpepper from the north. The remaining Union cavalry arrayed south of the town to restrict Jackson's retreat, but Sigel twice failed his command roll and his corps attack never materialized.

Jackson would have preferred to rest on the Sabbath, but his position was precarious, with Yankee cavalry in his rear and two Union corps reorganizing to the north. Banks marched his disorganized and demoralized corps to support Sigel, and position himself for Pope's grand assault to retake Culpepper. But Jackson took the initiative, and launched a corps assault of his own against Banks. Bank's corps had some fight in them, giving better than they got and holding their ground, but the exhausted troops would be done for the day.

With the day slipping away and Pope's dreams of a grand assault dashed by Banks' repulse, Sigel ordered his corps in to attack Jackson's exhausted men. Outnumbered, outgunned, and out-generaled, Sigel's assault was doomed to fail and Jackson held his ground, though Sigel's men acquitted themselves well in just mounting the attack.

With both armies exhausted, the day came to a close. With only a tenuous grip on Culpepper and with heavy losses on both sides, the Rebels earned a marginal victory using the revised WBC victory conditions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Larsen
Denmark
Naerum (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great to see some GCACW - its much too rare. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the AAR. It reminds me of the fond time playing this game and series the first time. My limited memory and history about ACW told me that, if it was right, the action was the first encountered in the 1st Bull Run. Culpepper, such a familiar name as it was the first main contact point between both sides. (I don't have the game on hand to check. So bear with me if I am wrong.....)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Meister
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report. I just got back into the series myself and hope to get in a solitaire scenario this week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul O'Connor
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RLarsen wrote:

Thanks for reading and commenting. This AAR was repurposed from my ACW gaming geeklist, where I'm slowly working through my ACW game library in concert with my historical reading. I'll be going back to this game shortly as it's time to take a look at 2nd Manassas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul O'Connor
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawrence Hung wrote:
Thanks for the AAR. It reminds me of the fond time playing this game and series the first time. My limited memory and history about ACW told me that, if it was right, the action was the first encountered in the 1st Bull Run. Culpepper, such a familiar name as it was the first main contact point between both sides. (I don't have the game on hnad to ceck. So bear with me if I am wrong.....)

This ground was fought over several times during the war. SJW concentrates on Second Manassas (of which Cedar Mountain was a prelude), but the forthcoming MMP reprint is supposed to include First Manassas, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul O'Connor
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vidbot wrote:
Nice report. I just got back into the series myself and hope to get in a solitaire scenario this week.

I found it an excellent game for solo play, particularly with an open history book on the table. With no hidden information and movement and initiative systems that parse play into little, what-do-I-do-now? impulses, solitaire play is a joy for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy del Rio
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goldenboat wrote:
RLarsen wrote:

Thanks for reading and commenting. This AAR was repurposed from my ACW gaming geeklist, where I'm slowly working through my ACW game library in concert with my historical reading. I'll be going back to this game shortly as it's time to take a look at 2nd Manassas.

Very nice! In observance of the sesquicentenial commemoration of the ACW, I picked up a copy of E.B. Long's The Civil War Day by Day: An Almanac, 1861-1865. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0306802554#_ I will read it for the next four years. It is fascinating to feel the tempo of the war. I recommend others do this; it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and you wouldn't have much reading to get caught up (it does begin in the fall of 1860, but not day-by-day).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul O'Connor
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edelrio wrote:
Very nice! In observance of the sesquicentenial commemoration of the ACW, I picked up a copy of E.B. Long's The Civil War Day by Day: An Almanac, 1861-1865. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0306802554#_ I will read it for the next four years. It is fascinating to feel the tempo of the war. I recommend others do this; it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and you wouldn't have much reading to get caught up (it does begin in the fall of 1860, but not day-by-day).

Cool ... I've been trying to keep up with the New York Times Disunion blog for the same reasons (http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/category/disunion/)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
In observance of the sesquicentenial commemoration of the ACW

I plan to play Not War but Murder and Price of Freedom this summer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.