Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A current geeklist mentions a 2-player variant that used to be posted to the designer's website. Would someone be able to re-cap the rules for 2 players? I remember that it entailed having 2 goals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hackel
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The current rules PDF for the latest version does not describe any 2-player variant.

http://www.looneylabs.com/literature/Aquarius-Rules.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right. I understood from the comments on the geeklist that there used to be a variant posted there, but it has been taken down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hackel
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
After lots of digging, I was able to find this fan-made variant for two players:
http://www.eblong.com/zarf/aquarius2.html

It sounds much like the one you're looking for, but it has never been officially sanctioned by the publisher.

EDIT: Link fixed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan, thanks for that detective work! I'm going on an overnight Amtrak trip soon with a friend, and want to take along some 2-player card games to keep us occupied during waking hours.

In case anyone else wants to reach the page Ryan mentioned, you need "HTML" on the end rather than "HTM".

Deb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MMB
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
debwentworth wrote:
Ryan, thanks for that detective work! I'm going on an overnight Amtrak trip soon with a friend, and want to take along some 2-player card games to keep us occupied during waking hours.

In case anyone else wants to reach the page Ryan mentioned, you need "HTML" on the end rather than "HTM".

Deb

Of the 2 options, the "Pisces" variant is the best one and works very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just in case the link ever dies:

Quote:
Two-Player Aquarius

If you don't know what Aquarius is, this page won't mean much to you.
Aquarius is okay with two players, but it's not very exciting, because there are really only two elements being built.

I came up with these two-player variations:

Gemini Aquarius

("the twins")
Each player gets two Goal cards. The object of the game is to fulfill either of your goals.

The Trade Goal action is slightly changed as well. When you play this, choose one of your goals, and trade it for one randomly-selected goal of your opponent.

Pisces Aquarius

("two fish swimming in opposite directions")
Each player gets two Goal cards. The object of the game is to fulfill both of your goals at once, with a total size of 10 or more.

For example, say your goals are Fire and Water. If the largest Fire group is 6 panels and the largest Water group is 4 panels, then you win. The two groups do not have to touch.

The Trade Goal action is slightly changed as well. When you play this, each player chooses one of his goals to trade.

Commentary

Gemini is simpler, but I think Pisces has much more strategic depth.
Note that the two games have different Trade Goals actions. In Gemini, I've found, each player concentrates on one goal, so Trade Goals lets you unload your unbuilt goal while giving you a 50% chance of getting a well-built goal. But in Pisces, both players are working on both of their goals at the same time... so Trade Goals gives both of them a dilemma about which goal to give up. Which is much more fun.

Note that, unlike regular two-player Aquarius, two Trade Goals actions do not necessarily cancel each other out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.