Subject: End Game - hand full of Merchant Ships situation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Blakeney
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't actually played the game yet, so if I'm missing something, please keep that in mind. While reading the rules (and this forum), I came up with a question about what you do after the draw pile is depleted. The question is this:

What do you do if after the draw pile is depleted, and after having played OR discarded cards from your hand for a few turns, you find yourself with ONLY merchant ships left in your hand (which are UN-discardable)?

I imagine that you would have to pass at that pont.

But what if ALL players find themselves in that situation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why wouldn't you just play merchant ships?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Blakeney
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See? I told you I hadn't played the game yet. That would have probably been obvious to me had I actually played it.

Thanks though!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
hundreds wrote:
See? I told you I hadn't played the game yet.

Towards the end of the game you get people frantically playing merchant ships to avoid negative points. These ships are easy pickings should the game last longer than expected, which can happen should the player or team with the smallest hand choose to draw instead of play (increasing their hand size and thus the game, which requires an exhausted draw deck and an empty hand).

Mostly, though, merchants dumped at the end remain as incomplete battles and thus are rewarded to no one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Blakeney
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for that clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.