Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed Meister
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a hypothetical scenario as Stuart encountered little opposition in the actual raid.

Union Setup:
1 MD (MP Value 1) S2109 (Foxville)
4 NY (MP Value 1) S2007 (White Sulfur Springs)

Confederate Setup:
F. Lee (MP Value 3) S1913
Stuart stacked with F. Lee

The rules for this scenario state that F. Lee may not enter a hex within four hexes of Rappahannock Station nor into a hex adjacent to Fox's Mill or Foxville. Also Union units cannot perform any actions on Turn 1.

Turn 1
F. Lee can only march due north due to the movement restrictions and he has nine movement points. He spends five to reach the hex adjacent to 4 NY, and spends the remaining four on a Normal attack. Now, F. Lee gets a +2 ratio mod (3-to-1) and a +3 tactical mod for a +5 to his roll. 4 NY gets a +2 for defending across a ford. Dice hate me!! Union rolls a 6! F. Lee rolls a 3. So now we're on the zero row on the combat chart.

With a "D" for both units, F. Lee fails to force 4 NY out of the hex. The turn is over since F. Lee is now at Fatigue level 4. What a bummer.

Turn 2
4 NY wins initiative and rather than attack F. Lee (with a -5 to his roll) he marches NE along the pike and then along Warrenton Branch RR towards the objectives.

Union wins iniative again. 1 MD begins to march toward Warrenton Junction. Both the Union regiments are able to reach the objectives (Catlett's Station and Warrenton Junction) before F. Lee. I don't even bother to play turn 3 because F. Lee is exhausted and disorganized and I figure I could (maybe) only burn one of the RRs. Union Decisive Victory.

Thinking back to the attack, I don't think an assault would have helped much. It is a +1 bonus but it would have cost me valuable time plus increased F. Lee's fatigue by one. It's frustrating sometimes when I single die roll affects the whole outcome. But it's also what makes it fun in that it's a challenge to try to overcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A very nice little scenario that covers the major points in the game. I remember I played the scenario back when the game was released...still having the fun of the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.