Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Erik and Donald are joined by the inestimable Josh Wheeler and discuss bringing games to the table.

Erik Takes 5 on games with longer setup time than they should have Erik reviews Roadzters

http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/obg-061-bring-it-to-the-table
RSS Feed: http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/rss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Esko
Sweden
Piteå
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lately I have realized that the best way to get something played is to have it set up when people arrive. I have done it a few times with my prototypes. Last Thursday I did it with In the year of the dragon. This is a game I know 2 of the regulars doesn't really like, but I had 2 new gamers over as well. ITYOTD is a game that works up to 5 players and one that I love. The new gamers liked it and want to play it again and the regulars didn't seem to dislike it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greggory Delman
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree. I always find that if you take the time to set something up while everyone else is deciding what they want to do, everyone just goes with the easiest out, ie whatever you just setup. It's just not something that you can do all the time, otherwise people will start to resent it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow - how did I miss that tweet? Sounds like Josh had lots of fun.

I'll agree that often the best way to get a game to the table is just to plan around it and invite people to play that specifically. I'm finding I need to do it more often lately with some of the longer 3+ player games I purchased.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wheeler
United States
Ammon
ID
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That was oodles of fun. I have to thank Don and Eric again for having me.
And, organizing a night around one specific game is definitely the way to go. I'm going to have to make a few discriminating picks from the stable of local gamers and get Black Gold to the table this weekend, if I can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wieman
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I right that the Roadzters review didn't make it into the podcast?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently that review didn't make it into the final file. No doubt Erik was testing to see if anyone listens to his reviews.

I'm sure the review will appear in the next episode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Dewey
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Esko
Sweden
Piteå
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Since we are bringing up an old topic. We got Through the Ages on the table last week, haven't played it in a couple of months. We all used to love the game when it was new. I think I've been the one most against playing it. Not only does it take 4 hours to play and is very fiddly and easy to make mistakes, There's also a little too much luck involved. I had been playing quite horribly the last 2-3 times.

The "plan to play a game" strategy have worked to get some games on the table. If your mind is set on a game before you get together, I find it much easier to play a game I would otherwise turn down. It's also easier to get a game on the table if you haven't played it in a long time. The 3 of us where talking about it and then I suggested that we should play it next time. I think we all really enjoyed playing it, and I want to play it again soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.