Popular Tags: [View All]
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not a review of the game but a review of the rule book. The version of the game is the Filosofia Excape game with English and French rules.

Check here for all my Reviews of the Rules A New Series of Reviews - The Rules

Why a review of the rules? Rules are important. While the artwork is the book cover, the rules are the preface. They are our first glimpse at how much we might enjoy the actual playing of the game. Yet reading the rules can vary from anywhere to enjoyable to frustrating. Quite often a game won't see the table immediately as the shear torture of reading through the rule book has given me a migraine! I am sure there is a general consensus as to what criteria a rule book should adhere to but here are my criteria:

1. Aesthetics ~ does the rule book look good (/5)
2. Can it be physically read easily ~ size of font, graphics interfering with ability to read text etc... (/5)
3. Does the rule book follow a logical format (/10)
4. Could I explain and play the game after the first read (/5)
5. Use of Examples (/5)

1. AESTHETICS - The rule book is a nice little booklet that if you flip over you can read either the English or French version of the rules. The book is colourful and well laid out. The artwork certainly enhances the feel of Excape being a fun game to play. (5/5)

2. PHYSICAL EASE OF READ - Despite being aesthetically pleasing to the eye one of the very few problems I have with this rule book is that they decided to use a grey (or muted black created by the size of the font) that, unfortunately, blends nicely with the pale blue background colour. While the type is readable it certainly does not jump off the page. Important sub-sections are bolded for easier reading. (3.5/5)

3. LOGICAL PATTERN - The main sections are printed in a large font in colourful tab-like headers which allow for easier following of the rule book. The rule book has the usual headings of Overview, Components, Goal, Game Set-up, Playing the Game, and End of Game. There is also a Variant section at the end. The only issue I have with the logical flow of the rule book is one main section that falls between Goal and Game Set-up. This section is title The Dice and their Combinations which explains how to interpret the results of the roll of the dice. To me this should have come after Game Set-up and perhaps fallen under the section Playing the Game. (4.5/5)

4. EXPLAIN and PLAY - Despite the minor issues with the rule set, after one reading of the rules it is easy to play, demonstrate or teach the game. (5/5)

5. USE of EXAMPLES - The rule book uses colourful pictures to provide great examples. Though, probably for this game examples are necessary. (5/5)

FINAL COMMENTS - This is an easy game to play and teach and most people will probably remember the game after being taught it once - without even seeing the rules. However, the rule set is well laid out and easy to read for anyone who acquires this game for the first time. (9/10)

Disclaimer: Any spelling mistakes or incorrect grammar is purely coincidental and in no way reflects the intelligence of the author, the BGG community, or the amount of alcohol the reviewer consumed while writing this post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.