Subject: Is this set worth it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hannibal Lecter
Croatia
Split
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy folks, I'm diving into the world of 象棋, and I'm getting ready to buy my first set.

While browsing through Amazon, I ran into this set:

http://www.amazon.com/Chinese-Chess-Xiangqi-Leather-Case/dp/...

We're talking about my luck, of course it has no reviews, so I have no idea if this is overpriced or not. Does anyone here own this set? Or something similar? Is it worth it?

It seems like it's on sale at the moment, so if you can get me any advice ASAP that would be nice.

My only alternative seems to be something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Chinese-Chess-Xiangqi-Magnetic-Travel/...

And that doesn't seem like something that would get any of my friends interested.

Thoughts?

Off topic: Is it just me, or the XiangQi selection on Amazon is lacking a bit?soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about either of those 2 sets on amazon but if you are looking for more style and price options there are 20 items listed in the ebay section of the XiangQi game page.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2393/xiangqi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Liss
United States
Quincy
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I can tell right off the bat that that set is over priced.

First of all, it's the usual "faux ancient case" design that they sell all over the internet as well as in "antique" markets in China. It's very common.

The second set is nice, not one I've seen alot of. But I usually only want a magnetic set for travel. That one seems to be a bit bulky for travel which kind of defeats the purpose.

I would suggest looking on ebay. There are much more cheaper sets there and a wider variety too.

Take a look at this set. It's also very common (they sell it in Chinatowns across the US.) But it's also a lot cheaper. But then you are sacrificing quality for cost. These sets usually have a lot of imperfections (sloppily painted pieces, latches that don't match up, etc.)

This set is a lot nicer (in my opinion) and also cheaper than the first one you listed. I would say it's reasonably priced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you looking for the game, a conversation piece, or both?

I own a few sets and like the ones with figures as they are easier to teach with.

(these are BGG images, not mine)

If I remember correctly the above set comes in three sizes small, medium, and large.

I would suggest getting the cheapest set and reward yourself with a nice set after learning how to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if croatia has any "chinatowns" but if you do swing in there...you can get a set for a couple bucks. Then if you like the game then you'll know if you want to pay big bucks for a set.

That said, I think a cheap set with wooden pieces is really the most real and beautiful sets they are. Unlike go, Xiangqi is a game of the street, and a fancy set just feels out of place.

If you can't find a set make one....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aaarg_ink wrote:
I don't know if croatia has any "chinatowns" but if you do swing in there...you can get a set for a couple bucks. Then if you like the game then you'll know if you want to pay big bucks for a set.

That said, I think a cheap set with wooden pieces is really the most real and beautiful sets they are. Unlike go, Xiangqi is a game of the street, and a fancy set just feels out of place.

If you can't find a set make one....

But you will need to supply you own wooden chairs...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hannibal Lecter
Croatia
Split
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, so many suggestions..nicecool

Samort7 wrote:
I can tell right off the bat that that set is over priced.

First of all, it's the usual "faux ancient case" design that they sell all over the internet as well as in "antique" markets in China. It's very common.

I'm curious here, is it overpriced because it's very common or because the quality sucks? Because I don't really care if it's common, it certainly won't be common here in Croatia. Just yesterday I went to a "china shop" (it probably has a different meaning here than you're used to) and asked the lady "do you have a chinese chess set?" and she said "isn't it the same as normal chess?". So yeah..never heard of it.soblue

I'm just curious if this set will last, you know.."qualitywise".. I just don't want the characters to fade in a year or something like that.

Samort7 wrote:
I would suggest looking on ebay. There are much more cheaper sets there and a wider variety too.

Take a look at this set. It's also very common (they sell it in Chinatowns across the US.) But it's also a lot cheaper. But then you are sacrificing quality for cost. These sets usually have a lot of imperfections (sloppily painted pieces, latches that don't match up, etc.)

This set is a lot nicer (in my opinion) and also cheaper than the first one you listed. I would say it's reasonably priced.

Wow, ebay sure has a lot more to offer!surprise Unfortunately, I don't think it's an option for me. With a $25 shipping and handling the set would have to priced somewhere near $0.. :-/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hannibal Lecter
Croatia
Split
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:
Are you looking for the game, a conversation piece, or both?

Kind of both..since I want to get my friends interested in it, and I think there are greater chances of them getting interested if it has that "ancient china look". This may also be a reason why I'm not eager to buy a travel set (I also don't travel a lot).

StevenE wrote:
I would suggest getting the cheapest set and reward yourself with a nice set after learning how to play.

That's another problem - most websites don't have shipping for Croatia, and those which do cost a lot (for Croatian paycheck at least). I'm (ab)using a good friend in France to deliver this, so this may be a unique opportunity to buy a set at all.

(Yes, Croatia is a messed up country..but it's a great vacation country if you want to relaxcool)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hannibal Lecter
Croatia
Split
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aaarg_ink wrote:

I already like the game

We don't have chinatowns, but I'm hoping we'll have them some day. I need someone to practice chinese language with ...and play Go and XiangQi, even though I'll get my ass kicked on regular basis.blush

aaarg_ink wrote:

The picture you posted is just awesome In Split, we have a similar "scene" with the pensioners playing chess near a beach, in a nice tree shade. Haven't played with them, but from what I saw, I'd get my ass kicked there as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Low
Australia
Canberra BC
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "cheapest decent acceptable" set I know of will come up if you search for "Intelligence Training Wooden Made Pieces Chinese Chess" (URL was too long to post!) - seller I purchased from was "milancentral".

$US7 with free international postage. Paint job of what you get won't be up to the advert, of course, but you can always touch up. I labelled the flip side of each counter as an aid, while I learn the characters: start playing with just one type of piece (e.g. cannon) on the Chinese character side; then gradually turn over more and more as you learn ("become familiar with") them.

A friend of mine picked up a beautiful domino-material-type set, which I intend getting for myself if I get addicted :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hannibal Lecter
Croatia
Split
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dlow wrote:
The "cheapest decent acceptable" set I know of will come up if you search for "Intelligence Training Wooden Made Pieces Chinese Chess" (URL was too long to post!) - seller I purchased from was "milancentral". $US7 with free international postage. Paint job of what you get won't be up to the advert, of course, but you can always touch up.

Thanks for the tip I have to say the title is a bit funny "Intelligence Training"?

dlow wrote:
I labelled the flip side of each counter as an aid, while I learn the characters: start playing with just one type of piece (e.g. cannon) on the Chinese character side; then gradually turn over more and more as you learn ("become familiar with") them.

It's not going to be a problem, as I mentioned earlier, I'm learning Chinese for a while now, so I'm kind-of used to the characters. My opponents however...whistle

Just tried adding the set to my cart on Amazon..turns out shipping & handling for France is $50+!!zombie

I guess I better start eBaying...blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hannibal Lecter
Croatia
Split
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for spamming againblush

What do you think of the stuff sold by this guy?

He has free international shipping, so that seems like a huge plus considering my alternatives.

This set seems..well, interesting.. The design is nice (maybe I'm just crazy about "shiny" objects), but I couldn't find any reviews anywhere on it's durability.

What do you guys think? (If you scroll further down on the product page, there are more pictures of the set)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally prefer something like this:Wooden Foldable XiangQi Set

Simple, natural, and you get a real board with it for only $4 more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
markgravitygood wrote:

Yeah that one looks real clean. The other one is fussy in my mind, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hannibal Lecter
Croatia
Split
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aaarg_ink wrote:
markgravitygood wrote:

Yeah that one looks real clean. The other one is fussy in my mind, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder....

I have to say, this one works for me too, probably missed it because I was looking for stuff below $40, but this is not a big setback..cool

They say sandalwood smells nice, even if it breaks down I'll be able to use it as air freshenershake

Thanks @markgravitygood!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Xiangqi
Mexico
Guadalajara
Jalisco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just purchase this from Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WS3NGI?tag=article-boar...

it is well made, the pieces are solid and heavy plastic.. (the solid feel of plastic dominoes).

It cost me 28usd incl.shipping.

I dont know why is $50 today, but you can look for this set on ebay, or hunt for it in amazon at better price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
seems a bit expensive but it does look nice and clean....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeek Ar
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
I have a set of nice wooden pieces, but they came with a crappy paper board. Does anyone make a vinyl roll-up board? It would go well..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brafman
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a set being sold very inexpensively right now by several online game stores, including coolstuffinc, that I just played. It uses a western style board and western style, 3D pieces. It made it very easy to transition from only knowing Western chess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Donnelly
Canada
Comox Valley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I'm late to the party, but here's my two cents' worth:

You can buy all sorts of exotic sets for international chess, but they are ultimately only for show. Serious players use only the Staunton pieces with a plain checkered board.

Same with xiangqi. I went through a period of wanting to own a nice set, eventually found a decent faux-antique box with bone pieces, and it has sat on the shelf ever since.

If you want to actually play the game, go with one of the cheap, standard sets. I still have the plastic pieces I bought forty years ago, and they're the ones I would pull out for a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.