Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
384 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [16] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Ghost Stories rethemed: The Call of Dagon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Lovecraft [+] PnP [+] redesign [+] retheme [+] DIY [+] re-theme [+] [View All]
Doc Holliday
Austria
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yet another retheme of an outstanding game. Being one of the best cooperative board games out there I thought about a more compelling setting. Dont get me wrong - I still find the background of Chinese mythology quite interesting and innovative. But after becoming familiar with the game and its rules and after getting a good impression on what the game was like, I immediately imagined a different way the game could present itself. And as an admirer of Lovecraft‘s Cthulhu universe I thought of a nice setting where a Great Old One, personified by Dagon, is about to rise and enslave humanity. One could consider this retheme as an Arkham Horror ’light‘, which is true in a way, especially with regard to preparation and playing time as well as the fact that a few brave investigators try to prevent the doom that is about to fall upon a small town somewhere at the coast of New England.

So, if you are interested please read on to see how all the game elements (including all expansions) were transformed into something completely new without making any changes to the game, its rules and mechanics at all.

Basic conversions
Incarnations of Weng-Fu > Messengers of Dagon
Tao Tokens > Banishment Scrolls
Buddha Figures > Elder Signs
Qi tokens > Sanity/Health tokens
Yin Yang > Elder Blessings
Moon crystals (expansion) > Clue/Agent markers
Villagers (expansion) > Informants

Investigators (Taoists)
There are 8 of them, 2 of each colour. I made special investigator sheets and (of course!) there are those finely painted figures that came as an expansion to the Arkham Horror board game.

Locations
I made a city map that shows a costal town in New England, with spaces for the buildings to place on.

And this is how I changed the locations of the original Chinese village:
Cemetery > St. Joseph Sanitarium
Taoist Altar > Witchhouse
Herbalist Shop > Magic Shop
Sorcerer's Hut > Library of the Obscure
Night Watch > Police Station
Circle of Prayer > Old Chapel
Tea House > Winfield's Hotel
Buddhist Temple > Stone Circle
Pavilion of Heavenly Wind > Black Obelisk
Guardhouse (expansion) > Watchtower
Kung-Fu School (expansion) > Town Hall

Monster boards
One of each colour. I made each colour represent a specific type of monster. So there are 4 types:
yellow = Undead
red = Cultists
green = Deep Ones
blue = Outer Beings

Monster cards (ghosts)
The ghosts of the original game, of course, became monsters of the Cthulhu universe. The Incarnations of the original game became Messengers of Dagon in my version. See a few examples below:

Ally cards (new)
When playing with less than 4 players, players choose allies that assist them by granting them special powers. The original game differentiates between neutral and obsessed boards instead.

Informants (villagers)
This is how I included the families from the expansion. They are now informants of different groups (librarians, archaeologists, scientists, sailors, and famous unique characters like Edward Derby or Randolph Carter). Rescue them and they will reward you with clues or artifacts.

Government Task Force (guess what.... aye, Su-Ling!)
This was one of the more challenging conversions, but judge for your own if it sounds logical:
Place 4 Federal Agents (moon crystals) in the corners of the town in order to launch a Government Raid (Mystic Barrier). You can do this by placing an agent marker (backside of clue markers) yourself, or have the Governent Task Force (Su Ling) place them. The Government Raid will kill monsters and/or rescue informants.

Artifacts
These are some of the rewards you get for rescuing informants.

Dream Deck
I even included the unofficial expansion from 'The Warp' (Yin-Yang deck) by making a Dream cards deck, which allows the investigator to fall asleep and explore the dream lands or be haunted by dark visions.

And yes, this is where Dagon and his minions lie dreaming, preparing themselves for their next assault on mankind... devil

Hope you like it. Any comments are welcome!

PS: All the merits go to the designer of the great boardgame 'Ghost Stories', Antoine Bauza, and to the art desginers of all the Cthulhu-related images (I mostly used web-images of the CoC CCG/LCG), respectively. Please buy their games and products to support their future projects!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg CZ
Hungary
BUDAPEST
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A-MAZE-ING

Very nice work!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ballard
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What can I say!? Only this:

WOW !!! wow wow wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McQ
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Double wow!
Great job
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jan w
Japan
Kita-Ikebukuro
Toshima-ku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
on the one hand i was thinking *sigh* another retheme into something lovecraftian.

by the time i had read the entire thread i was thinking: Both Ghost Stories and Yggdrasil feel less epic in a certain sense because of the cartoony artwork. The new artwork really wants to make me play this game and i think it suits the mechanics better than some undefined ghosts in a haunted chinese village.

Perhaps it's mostly due to the fact that you have an expansive backdrop of a world to refer to, rather than a random one thought out for the game (kudos to FFG for getting it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Holliday
Austria
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kronik, I guess you're right, FFG has kind of flooded the market with Cthulhu games. The reason for me was on the one hand, that I was looking for a good alternative to Arkham Horror, which I really love, but it just takes a whole evening to play. The second reason was the availability of images, and you need quite a lot of them for this game. To be honest, I also thought of something like a "System Shock" version, i.e. a sci-fi setting on a space station. It might have been a good alternative, but where to get all the images from?
Moreover, the conversion into the Mythos universe was much simpler, it just worked perfectly.

BTW, if you're looking for a scifi coop game, have a look at leaxe's and victor's WH40k retheme of Pandemic, Cleanse the Stars

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Holliday
Austria
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OMG, I just found a mistake on one of the location cards cry
5 GG for the first one who finds it... laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Eicklingen/Celle
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Incredible work!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mb
Doc Holliday wrote:

Is it that the hotel doesn't reference drawing a new monster card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Holliday
Austria
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
Doc Holliday wrote:

Is it that the hotel doesn't reference drawing a new monster card?

Bravissimo!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Germany
Kaiserslautern
flag msg tools
So this is my new overtext ? Hmmm...
mbmbmbmbmb
I first thought something like 'this game is the last one that needs a re-theme' but then I saw THIS. Now i want one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Indigesjewn428 wrote:
Glad to be here, my name is Indiges jewn Most recently from Kansas, originally from Lincoln and to this day miss my home town.

I have an awesome free time,I prefer all four seasons , specially the spring and the life it brings.

Business has been a part of my life for the last 6 years and most recently primarily on the World Wide Web.

I love the Internet.
Things as they are, more and more people are seeking help from people who have walked the walk and can teach others how to benefit from their experience. Just ask if you need to know something from me.

I am a consultant in the field of IT time management software.

check out my favorite sites , 20 weeks pregnant
28 weeks pregnant 34 weeks pregnant

I love to ask questions

I volunteer for valid causes that help the elderly.

Glad to be a part of this awesome venue and look forward to meeting you online here.

As things are, I could greatly benefit to learn from a great one as yourself, teach me your ways, perhaps pregnant I might become and on your website I could be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kronik wrote:
Both Ghost Stories and Yggdrasil feel less epic in a certain sense because of the cartoony artwork. The new artwork really wants to make me play this game and i think it suits the mechanics better than some undefined ghosts in a haunted chinese village.

I couldn't agree more with this opinion. I especially like Yggdrasil for its theme, and Ghost Stories has forever intrigued me, but the cartoony, anime art has just been a big detraction that has kept me from purchasing both(I had to get Yggdrasil). This re-theme though looks brilliant, and I would snatch it up in a heartbeat were it available. Fantastic job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Holliday
Austria
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As there were some requests, I'm going to make this material available as ready-to-print pdf-documents. I still have to correct a few minor mistakes first.
So just tell me and I will send you the download link (within the next 2 weeks probably).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Google 'NinjaDorg Fantasy Quest'
badge
Google 'NinjaDorg Fantasy Quest'
mbmbmbmbmb
Doc Holliday wrote:
As there were some requests, I'm going to make this material available as ready-to-print pdf-documents. I still have to correct a few minor mistakes first.
So just tell me and I will send you the download link (within the next 2 weeks probably).

Yes please!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the bits guy
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like the link to the pdfs too please. Thanks for making this available!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomo Syvänperä
Finland
Nahkela
Other (Non U.S.)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool! Looks nice, sign my up for the pdfs too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg CZ
Hungary
BUDAPEST
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
Reseñas de Juegos Argentinos
badge
Need a cool Graphic Design for a game you are Creating ? Maybe a banner for a kickstarter ? Ask for a quote... questions are for FREE :D
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome !!! Definitely want the link
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Looks great, I'd love the pdf links too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Jamer
Canada
Fredericton
NB
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I prefer the original theme... but this is a great conversion. Smart, attractive, and with a theme that will appeal to many. Nice work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody
Canada
Madeira Park
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
I have no willpower :)
badge
(.ㅅ.) The meaning of life is tuna >'.'<
This looks great. I like the original as well though. I wouldn't mind seeing the files for this incarnation as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job.

* The Call of Cthulhu RPG sites Azathoth as the (nominal) "king of all gods".

* The Mythos CCG cards have plenty of artwork.

* Nyarly has a "thousand" masks, although I doubt anyone's illustrated them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve \/\/
United States
Scotia
New York
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I know where you live, and I've seen where you sleep. I swear to everything holy that your mothers will CRY when they see what I've done to you.
badge
Oh, not in Utica, no. It's an Albany expression.
mb
This sounds a lot more interesting to me than the game as currently themed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agustin Kapuno
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please send me the link, too.thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [16] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.